Why is when I am listening to a lesson on my phone and turn the pages to follow the conversation, it marks it down as learnt and removes the pinyin?

Hi,

I have been trying to increase my listening, so put on varied content, so I get used to the “tones” etc, but if I try and listen and read along with the characters, if I turn the pages, it marks it down as “learnt”.

This is really annoying as that is not the case and it removes the pinyin and give me a unrealistic score, which is massively annoying as I need to gauge my progress and I have no intention of cheating.

For me to go back into them and then individually mark the characters back to 1-3 etc is a nuisance.

2 Likes

Hi Jzenith76,

The idea behind LingQ is that you mark words you don’t know as you come across them. If you don’t mark anything, the software assumes you know all the words. This is how it’s meant to work. The system needs your input in order to work properly.

If it were to just assume everything you’ve readon a page is unknown, it wouldn’t be able to focus on words you have difficulty with. So instead, it assumes that if you don’t mark anything as unknown, you know the whole page.

So you have to help LingQ along a bit, by marking unknown words as you come across them.

What I do is listen to a page only after I’ve scanned the page and marked any words I don’t know. Then I go on to the next page and repeat the procedure.

1 Like

You can use the “reader mode” (not sure if that’s exactly what it’s called)…On the web it’s “show synchronized text”. Instead of flipping through the pages manually, if you expand the audio section at the bottom on the app (phone, tablet, web), it will bring it into reader mode. It’ll go through the text, highlighting the line it is currently at.

2 Likes

maybe the “The idea behind LingQ” is to have a lot of words marked as known to make the numbers look better. I can not find other explanation for this nonsense.

2 Likes

“Nonsense”? How else are the developers supposed to program the system so that it does the task that LingQ is supposed to do?

LingQ is not meant to be a reader. The settings can be changed so it can do that, but it’s not LingQ’s primary purpose, and it’s not set up to do that.

Sure, if users are going to ignore the very basic premise of LingQ: i.e. if they ignore the way it’s supposed to work, don’t change any settings, and decide to page forward without marking any words as unknown - that will indeed tend to make the user’s numbers look better.

But that’s not a conspiracy to fool users into putting more money in LingQ’s coffers. What it is, is user error.

All you have to do, as you are reading on LingQ, is mark unknown words as LingQs before you page forward. That’s literally all you have to do. How else is LingQ supposed to know that you don’t know a word? I’m sorry to be flippant, but is it supposed to guess? Read your mind?

I mean, what other option do they have? Letting you just read and listen without you having to input any data - that’s just a reader. You can do that on any e-reader that has some sort of text-to-speech implementation. Or, as Eric suggests, you can use LingQ’s reader mode (either by following Eric’s method, or alternatively by going to settings/reader and deselecting “Paging moves to known”). But that won’t help you figure out which words you need to learn - and that’s what most users want LingQ to do for them.

LingQ works very simply and very efficiently: marking words as unknown sends those words into LingQ’s spaced repetition system. After doing that, turning to the next page marks any remaining words as known.

How else would you build the system? How else could you make it so that users could mark both known and unknown words? I see no better way to do it.

2 Likes

Other option you can do from the web is open the printer view of the lesson (3 dot menu from within the lesson).

1 Like

In your profile settings → Reader → General
Uncheck “auto LingQ creation”

I’m Deaf so I don’t use the listening part but I prefer to try to read through the whole story first to see what I can understand in context before clicking on words I do not know. Unchecking that allowed me to move through pages and then go back to the beginning to review the words I had trouble with and create LingQs for them.

3 Likes

“How else is LingQ supposed to know that you don’t know a word?”

Lingq do not need to know what are the words that the user knows. It’s the user that needs to know! If the user jugdes that some words are not important, or make no sense, or are not even words, or are from other language, or are just surnames etc… then its better to let them blue. No reason to waste time changing their status. What difference it will make for Lingq? none

“Letting you just read and listen without you having to input any data” “LingQ works very simply and very efficiently”

a lot a “data” will be inputted anyway, only a few “words” that make no sense will be left blue. It would be more efficient if the user didnt need to make any configuration to avoid adding words that make no sense and will just distort the numbers.

1 Like

I agree. But this is a completely different issue from the one that was brought up in the inittial post in this thread. This thread is about LingQ automatically marking ignored words as “known”. You seem to be wanting to change it into a discussion about how LingQ defines a “word”, and whether its method for doing that is valid. If that were what this discussion was about, you’d be right: indeed, LingQ sometimes adds words that aren’t words in the language being learned, and as you say, it makes no difference to LingQ. But it makes no difference to the user either. Also, it’s not going to impact the user’s ability to learn, so it’s a non-issue

But again, this is not what this discussion is about.

How will ANY data be input (other than every word being entered as a known word) when the OP’s original point was that he wanted to only read and listen? No data would ever enter the system if that was all a user did.

Again, we seem to be talking at cross-purposes here. You’re talking about adding words that make no sense. That’s not what the OP was talking about.

To your point, it doesn’t matter what you do with words that make no sense. The easiest thing to do is what I do:

1. Ignore any words that are not words (e.g. abbreviations, acronyms, or initialisms that are not common terms)
  2. Ignore words that are from dialects or languages that are not the user’s target language (e.g. French words - or even maybe Schwäbisch dialect words - in a German text).
  3. Ignore given names and surnames.

The result will be that your known words get a bit of a boost. But so what? It’s not going to hurt your ability to learn in any way. All it does is get you to a higher LingQ level slightly faster (and since these odd words are relatively rare, it’s going to be a very minimal boost). Since LingQ is merely a language-learning tool, and not an international standard competing with CEFR, it doesn’t matter. The LingQ levels are purely internal to LingQ - they don’t correspond to any other system, so no matter how we deal with these “non-words”, nothing real is lost.

And if it really bothers you that LingQ is giving you a known vocabulary of 10,000 words when you think it should be closer to 5,000, there’s an easy solution to that: just assume your true known vocabulary is half of what LingQ says it is. That’s pretty much what I do.

indeed i failed to stay with the original post issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

but this issue of the original post is the same trap to make the numbers better. What would be the problem for lingq if in some lessons he just goes through it without changing any words? No problem for linqg, and not efficient too to put a trap that will make the numbers distorted.

1 Like

Hi @jzenith76 !
There are at least two ways you can read & listen without marking new words as Known:

• you can use the Listening mode (by tapping on the icon in the player interface)
  • you can turn OFF the “Paging moves to known” option in the Reader Settings thus you can watch and listen as you used to but without auto-assigning to Known
    (be aware that after you complete a lesson all Blue words will be assigned as Known anyway)

As for the pinyin not showing for the Known words - this can be changed by unticking the “Show for Status 1-3 only” option at the very bottom of the Reader Settings. Currently, this can be done only on the Web and Android.

3 Likes

Dude, it’s not a trap. Not everything is a conspiracy. I’ve done some software coding, and the reality is, it’s hugely time-consuming to write code so that the system automatically flagged the stuff you’re talking about and made sure it didn’t appear in the known words file. They would literally have to include in the code every possible given name and surname, every abbreviation, acronym, and initialism, and write code to scan for foreign words for every single language, and recognize non-words, etc.

Or they’d have to input every variation of every known word in every language, and, for every language in the system, flag everything that didn’t fit.

Even if they could do it, it would slow down the system for the user, and it would take years for programmers to write the code so that LingQ could do what you’re expecting it to do. It’s just never going to happen, because it’s too little bang for the buck. Instead, they’ve done what every other company that makes software of this type does - just call every word a word, whether it makes sense or not. It saves time and it allows them to sell the product for a few bucks a month, rather than hundreds.

I thought the idea was that you have easy access to definitions, dictionaries and audio, and LingQ will track your words and lingqs on a scale.

I’m a retired professional programmer. I don’t understand your argument. To me it’s just a matter of maintaining the user’s state accurately.

And if LingQ were designed to behave as you say, why is there now a checkbox to defeat marking words know when you move to the next page as Denys_B mentioned?

“it’s hugely time-consuming”…“to include in the code every possible given name and surname, every abbreviation, acronym, and initialism, and write code to scan for foreign words for every single language, and recognize non-words, etc.”

It has nothing to do with the problem! Lingq do not need to recognize all the “wrong words”, it is the user that will do that letting those words blue. What lingq has to do is very simple, just to not add the untouched words [blue] as known words. So the conspiracy remains :slight_smile:

So let me get this straight. You want LingQ to not add untouched words to the list of known words, but you think they can do that without writing any code whatsoever in order to filter out those words. In other words, by magic.

I’m sorry, but this is getting ridiculous.

Not as I understand it. What do you mean by “a scale”?

That’s one way of putting it. But how do you do that without filtering out the words that aren’t “real words”? The “user’s state” as you put it, is governed by what words appear in the user’s list of known words. That list is determined by everything the user doesn’t turn into a lingQ. If the software has to filter out words from that list, surely you as an ex-professional programmer must know that there has to be code written to do that.

This discussion seems to be showing signs of turning into a semantical debate. I’m really not interested in that.

The fact is, if people are expecting the known words list to reflect more accurately only proper verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc., and their grammatical variations, you can only do that by writing a whole lot of code.

And if you’re an ex-professional programmer, and you think it’s so easy to do this, instead of wasting time here, why don’t you write a proposal and submit it to the developers?

they will need to do some work, of course. But not…
“to include in the code every possible given name and surname, every abbreviation, acronym, and initialism, and write code to scan for foreign words for every single language, and recognize non-words, etc.”

Its the user that will look at each word, not lingq. Its much less work then you were talking about. Don’t you see the difference?

deselecting that button “paging moves to know” for example solve everything without all this absurd amount of work you are talking about. They just need to make that box deselected from the start. Wright?

1 Like

“Trash - 1 2 3 4 5 - Known”

I"m not arguing semantics. I’m arguing basic user interface design. Users don’t want their work changed behind their back. Rightly so.

That’s the why this topic pops up every 2-3 weeks. LingQ is betraying a basic user expectation.

If the user marks a word Known fine. If LingQ does so without notifying the users, That Is Wrong.

I don’t see that there is a technical problem here. As I mentioned, the “feature” of marking words known upon turning the page can be turned off from a control panel setting.

1 Like