Why don't you like math?

Hello guys! I’m Kate! I study math at university and I don’t undestand because many people hate math! Do you have any suggestions?

My theory :slight_smile: Math is anti-religious, but people tend to be religious. They have an innate feeling that if their faith is strong enough, they can change a reality (e.g. 2x2 can be 5 - “you just have to believe in it, brother!”). Math ruins this feeling and peoples became uneasy. So math is bad for their state of mind. But when you reach “probability theory” thing, you can praise “Alleluia! 2x2 can actually be 5! God is still over there!” and remain to be a Christian with PhD in Mathematics.

Joking aside, I think the math tends to describe analog (continuous) natural processes in a discrete way. This is against our brain’s and perception’s nature, so it may be especially difficult for some people to stick to strict sequences of numbers and formulas, when their mind tends to skip something here or add something over there.

good question! Let’s start with why you like it?

I thought math itself was an analogue

Well, do you like it? Do you get this warm joyful sensation “Wow! Finally, I can use some mathematics!”

Well, I try to explain! Since I was 6 year I realized that I liked science, particularly math! I was very joyful when I had to study math and very bored when I had to study history! It was natural for me to be interested in mathematics rather than another kind of study so now I study math at university and day after day I’m discovering what you can feel and I’m very excited about this! Many people think that studying mathematics is to do addition and multiplication all day! no no mathematics mean to think, to reason, to open your mind to different perspectives! I believe that one of the reasons why many people hate maths is that they must stop to think really bacause it’s easier to read a page of history that solve an equation! Do you agree?

At school I had maths as a main subject for my “Abitur” exam besides history (so not foreign languages) and I liked algebra and analysis. As well was I fortunate to have good maths teachers at school. After my school years I decided not to focus on maths anymore I am more talented for learning languages. Maths costs me too much input for not so much output. If I put the same amount of input into learning languages I have more succes.

Fasulye

“it’s easier to read a page of history that solve an equation! Do you agree?”
It depends. Reading non fiction at its highest level requires critical thinking (cross checking, evaluation of sources etc)leading to making judgements. I do not know the highest levels of math, is the same mental activity also involved?

I think this may vary by individual but having studied many math and science, engineering courses in university along with many other liberal arts courses (history, political science, etc…) I can say without question that the math and science courses required significantly more effort to understand and be able to use what you learned on assignments, tests.

I think in the university setting, the standards for passing liberal arts courses are more fuzzy, so they inevitably tend to slide a bit as teachers give students the benefit of the doubt over and over again.

In my life experience, I have known more people who have math related bachelors degrees than people who can write clearly and defend an argument.

Leaving science aside, in my experience mathematics was often taught purely as a test subject. Certain equations or processes have to be learned so that they can be applied on tests. And the problems they’re applied to often didn’t seem like something useful. I actually liked math and was good at it, but I can see why many didn’t like it. Like many things in school, math is probably ruined by being focused too much on tests.

I think the difference with math vs. language learning for instance is that with math you have to nail stuff down and understand one subject quite well before moving on. Whereas with other subjects you can take more time just taking it in and trust that it will eventually crystallize.

1 Like

Mathematics is often seen as “too abstract”, as opposed to other science courses where it may be easier to find a concrete use of an exercise/a problem. At least that’s the thing I hear the most (I’m in engineering school and we use math quite a lot). Also, the more you study math, the less you play with numbers. There are letters everywhere now, so it’s a lot less fun than when I was 10!

Edit: I’ve found the answer myself. So “mathematics” is singular and “math(s)” is either singular or plural depending on the country.

@Mark: “I think this may vary by individual but having studied many math and science, engineering courses in university along with many other liberal arts courses (history, political science, etc…) I can say without question that the math and science courses required significantly more effort to understand and be able to use what you learned on assignments, tests.”

I think it definitely varies a lot from one individual to the next. There are some folks who are just born with a real talent for maths - they can just “do” it. For them, solving differential equations comes as naturally as music probably did to Mozart.

I was having this debate the other day. People (young people) saying math is worthless and basically denouncing anything above basic algebra as a waste of time. Saying it should never be mandatory. (For me Geometry and Advanced Algebra are also mandatory).
Many hate math beyond the simple stuff, simply because of the phrase math teachers hate “When are we ever going to use this?”

My first reaction is, you are a high school student… your time is not that important. You need a dose of reality.

I study science, and I’m good at math. As well as I have a desire to learn, whether it’s math, or history, or language. So I don’t understand.

More onto the question, most people hate it because they aren’t good at it, usually because they don’t try, or they do try and hate that they have to try at it. Generally I think most young people just have a disrespect and ungrateful attitude to the free education, and are just uninterested in learning or thinking. and math is too much effort for them.

I sort of have a harsh view on society…

Do you think advanced mathematics should be taught to teenagers even though they might not use it in their future careers?

hey ! ; (

I loved maths until I was about ten. Then I hated school as I began to see it for what it was and still is to this day: An incubation camp that produces generation after generation of docile voters just skilled enough to push a few buttons and pull levers but not able to question and reason about their situation.

Take the quote above " I think most young people just have a disrespect and ungrateful attitude to the free education."

It is anything but “free.” First ,people are coerced by the state into paying for these holes through taxation. “What’s that?” “You wont’ pay to have your child’s mind broken?” “Into prison you go!”

Then, (I’m not speaking for every state here) the parents are threatened with prison if they don’t herd their children into to school or if you homeschool, have the state make you jump through hoops to do it.

And the biggest cost of all is to the child. He or she is deprived of choice, independence and respect as they are treated like dirt by unionised teachers of which most couldn’t give a damn about the emotional health of the child. They are in an involuntary enviornment and these always bred a culture of bullying no different to that of a prision system.

No, it’s not that people don’t like maths, they just hate school, coercing someone to preform a task will put them of it for life.

To learn more I suggest listening to “School sucks podcast” on I -tunes; it will really open your eyes.

Were you born in a log cabin you built yourself?

yes, yes, yes the education system is terrible.

but come on. Math gets a bad reputation more than any other subject.
Teenagers really don’t wanna learn, passion is rare. Maybe the education system is to blame for that, or the parents, or modern society, or yes, government conspiracy to brainwash your children, @mcattack.
or even aliens.

Me personally, I blame Canada. They simply can’t afford for the humans to learn math, throws off their world domination plans.

@ mcattack : “I loved maths until I was about ten…”
I totally agree with you !