Who wants to know more about the language called Manchu滿文 which was the official language in Qing Dynasty in China and is now a dying language recognized by the UNESCO?

Hi, polyglots!
I am now writing a blog on Manchu learning, besides learning French.
I really want to promote this language and that is the reason why I am writing a blog.
For those who write a blog, you know how much time and effort is spent on this!
If you appreciate this effort and want to know more about Manchu, please click the link below. Comments are highly welcome and feel free to ask me anything about this language.
Since it is a blog written in both Chinese (traditional) and English, for those who want to study Chinese, or the other way round, I think it can be helpful! Thanks=)

1 Like

Will follow. Have you thought of recording the Chinese version and imbedding the sound file? That way the content would be even more attractive and accesible to lingQ members interested in China. Then we can import sound and Chinese text and get a lesson out of it. Compared to typing the posts it shouldn’t be so much additional work.

I understand that Mandarin, as opposed to southern dialects, has quite a bit of Mongol and Manchu influence. And Heilongjiang speech has a few Manchu words on top of that.

I would definitely be interested in learning more about Manchu! Thanks for sharing this! What a shame that it’s a dying language. By the way, did you know that Harvard University has a Manchu language program?

yes, I know, like one summer course in every three years. It’s a bit far away from where I am living, so I started to study on my own. Self-study turns out to be ok for Manchu reading.

Yes, Chinese has a huge amount of loan words from Manchu and some accents in northern dialects can be related to Manchu. Your idea is good, but I am afraid that my recording will carry a strong southern accent. If I do have recording, I think I would have my friend from Beijing to do it.