Where's the punch line?

If I see a (funny) picture, but I don’t really get it, I don’t know what’s so funny,
how should I ask with a WH-question? Is “punch line” applied to this situation?

Thank you!!!

I would ask “What is the punch line.?”. That would mean that you want to know what is funny about the picture. The question “Where is the punch line?” would mean you want to know the location of the punch line. Knowing what is more important than knowing where.
I think the girls are very cute and very much alike (to my eyes). Maybe the punch line is that for multiple choice questions, the answers are very much alike - just a little bit different.

2 Likes

I think you kind of answered your own question, lilyyang.

I don’t get it. What’s so funny? What’s the punchline? / Where’s the punchline?

I would say yes, “punchline” applies in this situation; you could ask ‘where’ or what’ is the punchline. (Also note that “be like” is vernacular for “are like” and is used humorously.)

I guess it’s because the girls look so inquisitive, or it’s because all three girls look so similar, or it’s because they’re all so cute that it’s hard to pick which one is the cutest, or maybe it’s all of the above, I don’t know.

Multiple choice questions be like, “Huh? All the answers are so similar. I don’t know which one to pick.”
Your guess is as good as mine.

1 Like

If I don’t quite understand what you just said. I can say, “sorry, I didn’t catch that.”

Is it weird to say “I didn’t catch the picture”?