Where do we put new resources at LingQ

I think we have discussed this before but I would like to ask the question again.

Without tying up our programming resources, where is the best place to post links to language content. This would could be a source and clearing area, probably best divided by language. Having such an area would then enable people to

just import for their own use
contact the provider for permission to share
record “text only” resources and share, if we get permission
request native speaker members to record or transcribe content

We could also build something in to the system but our existing list of things to do is long so it is best if there is a clever way of doing this. All idea and suggestions welcome.

I think the Content Forum would be the best place for that. Start a separate thread for each language and see how it goes.

Can we have a link to the Content Forum from the Import page?

I think we could have a box similar to ‘Recent Posts’ above it with links to the threads we want to be visible all the time.

It is a good suggestion to create a thread for each language.

But I have an additional idea: I suggest to create a Google Document like an Excel sheet for each language.
The Link to the Document can be posted in top of the thread for this language. All users should have the rights to read the Document.
Users can add suggestions to the thread.
A tutor (one tutor, or all tutors for this language) should add the Links to the Document.
I would do this for German.

The Document could contain the following Columns:

• Provider
  • Description (of the subject of the content)
  • Link of the website
  • a Column if Audio is available
  • a Column if Video is available
  • a Column if Text is available
  • a Column if Grammar, or Explanations on the website are available
  • a Column if this is a website with a collection of Links
  • Remarks/Hint: for example Hints, where the text would be found or other tricky things on this website

The Document should contain the hint “Please do not share”.

The advantage of such a structured collection is the possibility, to bring it up easier in the LingQ database in the future.

That’s a good idea, Vera! Why don’t you create one in German as an example for everyone else. Then, you can post it’s public url in the forum and share editing access only with those people who ask you for it. When the document is public it will be Read-Only. Once the document is created, we can look at how to link to it from the Import page for German learners.

I would love to help with.
The problem is that I’m not very familiar with Google Documents. I only know it because I used it helping to do the translations of the help files. And I we went on Holiday this weekend. So I could do this in two weeks, but not at the moment. Maybe someone else could prepare this in the meantime?

I have started a spread sheet at google documents. It is just a start, check out Sheet 2. This is Vera’s excellent idea and we should have sheets for every language. I would like to keep the table as simple as possible. Await comments.

http://tinyurl.com/ccxj4f

Steve,

I don’t have permission to access the document. You should probably have received some request for edit the document from me. My email is konstantina.t.1118@googlemail.com

I get it, I need to put in the email addresses of people who will share this document and add to it. I have done so now for Konstantina.

Please let me know if you want your email address added to this document so that you can add to it.

Just email me a steve(at)lingq.com and I will add you, or let me know here. I do not know much about these things but it is probably best to show your email address as I have done to avoid any spyware or other mysterious ways that people can get a hold of your email address to send unwanted messages.

Vera, I have added you too.

me too, please

degi03(at)gmail.com

Ed

Done and thanks Ed.

Our google spreadsheet with a full list of resources of audio and text resources for language learning is taking shape. What we are looking for

1. audio content, ideally with transcripts
  2. podcasts where we might approach the podcaster with an offer of a transcript in exchange for permission to share the content at LingQ, and some mention of LingQ by the podcaster
  3. Blogs and text content that our members might want to record for our LingQ Libraries.

In all cases we will need to approach the owners of the content for permission to share it at LingQ.

However, even if permission is not given, these could be resources that LingQ members can use for their own personal study at LingQ and not share.

Let me know if you would like access to the page in order to add to it.

I would also like to know how to copy the format of the table to 10 or more sheets, one per language. I have looked at the Help and some of the google spreadshet videos on youtube and cannot figure it out.

Steve,
please add me - rasana001 -at- gmail.com

done and thanks Rasana

Thanks for the contributions we are getting. I added a column for difficulty level. Please feel free to suggest other changes to the format.

How do I edit inside a cell (Ed?)
Why does the first column , the URL, not wrap, even if I click on the wrap icon to turn on wrapping?

To edit a cell: just click it and type. (you might have to double click it)

I can’t get Wrap to work either. But if you click the cell with the URL in it, a little icon appears in the to left that, if clicked, opens the page right away in a new tab (in Firefox anyway)

Ed,

When I click or double click it erases the cell and I have to start over again. I want to just edit what is already in a cell. Any ideas?

What you described happens if you single-click it and start typing. What I see on my end is if you double-click the cell, you will see the the cursor blinking to the right of the last character currently there. At that point you can add text without erasing it.

Ed,

Many thanks. You are right. You cannot imagine how I tried to do this, looking for how to in the Help etc. Sometimes what we are looking for is staring us in the face. Thanks.