"What's me call it"?

Have you ever used the expression “What’s me call it” to introduce something the name of which escapes you, trying to come up with the name?

I have, although I mostly find myself using “What’s his/her face”.

1 Like

You mean a whatchamacallit? :slight_smile:


As solanderdog says, it is most likely “whatchamacallit” (or “wachamacallit”), which is “what you might call it” turned into one word colloquialism.

It is heard occasionally, although I personally haven’t used it.

Dictionary.com lists whachamacallit as follows:

noun, Informal:

an object or person whose name one does not know or cannot recall.

1940-45; spelling of what you may call it reflecting affrication of t before y and reduction of vowels; compare similar metric pattern and internal əmə in rigamarole, thingamagig

1 Like

no haven’t used

“whatchamacallit” How funny it sounds to me!
Is this what you might call “filler word”?
Is this, whatchamacallit, a filler word?

I suppose they are filler words too in broad sense of it.

But the Wikipedia article about filler words distinguishes “whatchamacallit” and the like from the usual filler words like “well”, “y’know”, “like”, etc, calling the former “placeholder names”.

In linguistics, a filler is a sound or word that is spoken in conversation by one participant to signal to others that he/she has paused to think but has not yet finished speaking.[1] These are not to be confused with placeholder names, such as thingamajig, whatsamacallit, whosawhatsa and whats’isface, which refer to objects or people whose names are temporarily forgotten, irrelevant, or unknown.