What is Islam

The word Islam means voluntary “Submission” or “Surrender” to the Will of God. It derives from the root word “salam,” meaning peace.

In the Quran, God defines that the only purpose for which He created mankind is to Worship Him. Islam recognizes that humankind has free choice in whether to obey or disobey God, but ultimately we will be held accountable to God in the next life for the choices that we make in this life.
God sent Prophets to teach mankind how to worship Him; starting with Adam, including Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and the last of the messengers, Muhammad (peace be upon them all). The Islamic position is that all of these prophets came with the same message, that there is no deity worthy of worship except the One True God, known in Arabic as Allah.

Islam is a natural way of life that encourages one to give due attention to their relationship with God and His creation. Islam teaches that it is through the doing of good deeds and seeking the pleasure of God that souls find true happiness and peace. It is in this context that the word Islam derives from the root word “salam,” or peace.

With so much going on the world with Muslims, it’s fair to say that we should at least understand what Islam is in a nutshell

With all due respect, not everyone interprets Islam this way. Particularly not the individuals who kill others while shouting “Allahu Akhbar”. The problem is that they also seem to think that their chosen path is righteous, even though it is hateful and evil. It’s the same thing with Christianity, really. You get people who emphasize the teachings of Jesus Christ and strive for kindness (also in politics, although still they will support bombing countries to make them democratic), but on the other hand you get people who emphasize the old testament and use it to justify harshness, which also translates to politics in the form of support for the death penalty as an example. I’m sure your interpretation of Islam is sincere and that it feels very right to you but until every follower of Islam stops wanting to kill Jews and other “infidels” the etymology discussion kind of falls flat.

I’m hesitant to wade in here - because I know very little about the Koran. But I know there are those people who argue that the later written verses of the Koran tend to be (let’s say) ‘tougher’ towards Jews and other ‘Infidels’ than the earlier parts were. Apparently (?) these newer verses overrule the older ones in case of doubt.

Hmm…

BTW If we apply the same method to the Judeo-Christian scriptures, we clearly move away from the stone 'em and burn 'em approach of some part of the Old Testament towards the peace 'n love of the New Testament…

Just sayin’…

Yeah I haven’t actually read the Quran either so I’ll be careful saying anything about its contents. But I think we should overlook the scriptures anyway and see this (terrorism) as a cultural issue: that it is bad culture among some people. Not all. This bad culture has to be weeded out, after which I will be more likely to accept the etymology of the word Islam if nothing else as an interesting curiousity and without feeling the irrepressible need to answer a forum post early in the morning.

A number of people today view Submission (Islam in Arabic) as a hostile and aggressive religion. This stereotype has been sadly reinforced by the acts of terrorists and fanatics, who in no way represent what the religion truly stands for. They have hijacked the religion of Islam, and consequent media attention, for their own selfish and evil goals. Hence, the world opinion tends towards viewing Islam as a violent religion. People associate Islam with ISIS / daesh, suicide bombers, Osama bin Laden, and September 11th. Very few see it as a religion that forbids any kind of aggression, and permits fighting only in self-defense (Quran 2:190). Yet, this is what the truth is. The religion of Islam, described by God in the Quran stands for peace and tolerance. It does not condone or encourage terrorism.

In the remainder of the article we address some of the common misconceptions about the Islamic and Quranic perspectives on war and peace. These misconceptions are fueled by some people who quote parts of a few Quranic verses out of context. It is unfortunate that rational open-minded folk accept these misquotations without examining the context of the passage they are written in. As with most other books, the Quran must be read as a whole. Taking a single verse—or a part of a verse—out of context, can naturally lead to incorrect conclusions. No religion of God is evil, rather the people who abuse the religion are.

Aggression is Forbidden. Fighting is permitted only in self-defence.

The Quranic verses on this are very clear. God repeats, “do not aggress”, multiple times. Only if attacked, is one permitted to fight back. If the other party refrains from aggression and offers one peace, we are told to stop fighting.

Rules of War*

[2:190] You may fight in the cause of GOD against those who attack you, but do not aggress. GOD does not love the aggressors.
[2:191] You may kill those who wage war against you, and you may evict them whence they evicted you. Oppression is worse than murder. Do not fight them at the Sacred Masjid, unless they attack you therein. If they attack you, you may kill them. This is the just retribution for those disbelievers.
[2:192] If they refrain, then GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.
[2:193] You may also fight them to eliminate oppression, and to worship GOD freely. If they refrain, you shall not aggress; aggression is permitted only against the aggressors.

*2:190 All fighting is regulated by the basic rule in 60:8-9. Fighting is allowed strictly in self-defense, while aggression and oppression are strongly condemned throughout the Quran.

[5:87] O you who believe, do not prohibit good things that are made lawful by GOD, and do not aggress; GOD dislikes the aggressors.

[8:61] If they resort to peace, so shall you, and put your trust in GOD. He is the Hearer, the Omniscient.

[4:90] … if they leave you alone, refrain from fighting you, and offer you peace, then GOD gives you no excuse to fight them.

The Quran also reminds the submitters (muslims in Arabic) that they should not be provoked by past animosity into committing acts of aggression (5:2). Additionally, God insists that submitters (muslims) must be absolutely sure before striking in the cause of God (4:94). Anyone who offers one peace, cannot be attacked.

[4:94] O you who believe, if you strike in the cause of GOD, you shall be absolutely sure. Do not say to one who offers you peace, “You are not a believer,” seeking the spoils of this world. For GOD possesses infinite spoils. Remember that you used to be like them, and GOD blessed you. Therefore, you shall be absolutely sure (before you strike). GOD is fully Cognizant of everything you do.

Does this “tolerance” that you say Islam represents extend to people who choose to leave the religion? Many prominent voices in Islam believe they should be murdered, as does a large portion of the muslim world.

5 Likes

http://www.masjidtucson.org/submission/perspectives/striving/Islam_forbids_terrorism.html

Why are you copying texts from those sites without mentioning them? Just place the link and let us read it if we are interested.
Only I found strange a new account that is not even learning a language coming to talk about a topic so controversial and difficult from nowhere?

8 Likes

How is this related to language learning?! It must be the wrong forum.

2 Likes

You’re right. It’s probably a troll.

I hear people say “radicals have hijacked the meaning of Islam” and “not all practioners are this way” in regards to the way you describe ‘modern Islam’. The problem is, if this were the case, I’d see a lot more moderate Muslims of today denounce the bigots, extremists, and terrorists that do what they do for the sake of their religion.

Where’s the discussion?

2 Likes

Dear MR. georgiaichigo

I will take your advise.
if somebody interesting to know more he or she can check the below Youtube channel

Hope you will find lot of information and answers

Thanks & Regards

you will find many book in the below site too
you can choose the display language to your language

http://en.islamway.net/

Regards

Here’s what your site has to say about blasphemy and apostasy. Can’t say I’m surprised. This is one of the reasons why people are skeptical when you say Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance.

“If the one who reviles the Lord, Exalted be He, or reviles religion is a Muslim, then he thereby becomes an apostate from Islam and a disbeliever. He shall first be asked to repent, then he is either to repent or be executed by a decision from the competent authority, i.e., the Shariah court. Some scholars suggested that he shall not be asked to repent, but rather he shall be executed immediately, since his crime is extremely hideous. However, the most preponderant view is that he shall first be asked to repent, in the hope that Allah may bless him with guidance and drive him back to the truth. Still, he shall be punished by lashing and imprisonment, so that he may not repeat such a heinous crime. Similarly, if someone reviles the Quran or the Messenger (prayers and peace of Allah be upon him) or any other Prophet, he shall first be asked to repent, then he is either to repent or be executed.”

“If someone criticizes a judgment or instruction by the Prophet, he should be executed, as the Prophet told us to do in his life and after his death”.

4 Likes

Religious threads never end well; everyone always has something to say. unclicks watch thread

2 Likes

I’ve seen language related threads that had more activity than this one.

Dear All,

Hope you get answers for some of your questions in the below link:

Regards

For me one of the best sources of information on Islam is David Wood’s youtube channel.

Check out for instance this video: Top Ten Quran Verses for Understanding ISIS (the Islamic State)

Dear gbvr,

I am not here to have a debate. I just want to show What is Islam as mention in the post subject.
If you are interesting in this debate you can search for “ahmed deedat debate” in YouTube

Regards,

I’m terribly sorry but you’re going to get a debate whether you like it or not. If you don’t want a quarrel about it, don’t put it on the LingQ forum.

either take it or be executed :smiley:

1 Like