What does it mean?

Hello. I read 3 chapter of Alice’s Adventure in Wonderland and misunderstand some phrases. I’ll be thankful, if you give me some explanation.I mark unclear things with /…/.
1)"William the Conqueror, whose cause was favoured by the pope, was soon/ submitted to by the English/, who wanted leaders, and had been of late much accustomed to usurpation and conquest.
2) /As wet as ever,' /said Alice in a melancholy tone: it doesn’t seem to dry me at all. Does it mean smth like ‘as wet as I was’ or ‘as wet as I’ve ever been’.
3) What IS a Caucus-race?' said Alice; /not that/ she wanted much to know, but the Dodo had paused as if it thought that SOMEBODY ought to speak, and no one else seemed inclined to say anything. 4) Is 'One, two, three and away' a sign for starting a race? Sorry,what's correct - 'sign for' or 'sign to start' a race? 5) Alice had no idea what to do, and in despair she put her hand in her pocket, and pulled out a box of comfits, (luckily the salt water had not got into it), and handed them round as prizes. /There was exactly one a-piece all round/ Does it mean that everuone get only one comfit? 6) I beg your pardon,’ said Alice very humbly: you had got to the fifth bend, I think'. Alice thought about the Mouse's tale while it was telling the history and made such a conclusion. Does it mean that Mouse was condemn to death through hanging on the fifth bend? 7) A knot!’ said Alice, always ready to make herself useful, and/ looking anxiously about her/. `Oh, do let me help to undo it.

Thank you in advance.