What does it mean?

I need an explanation. Please, excuse me if I am boring you on the Forum. :blush:

to take leave = to leave it alone = to let it slip by = to forget about it

I suspect that this use is somewhat archaic.

The character wants to settle (deal with right now) the money situation instead of putting it off for later.

in regular usage, ā€œto take leaveā€ means to go on vacation

Like what arw69733 said, it normally means to go on vacation.

Wrong! :slight_smile: It means, in the lesson, that he left the room, the house, or the conversational setting; or wanted to do so, or wasnā€™t sure whether or not he could do so. You can see another example a few paragraphs down, by the way.

Now, in bureaucrat-speak, yes, taking leave means taking part or all of oneā€™s annual vacation time.

LOL, did anyone read the content first?:slight_smile:

ā€œThe poor young man hesitated and procrastinated: it cost him such an effort to broach the subject of termsā€¦ Yet he was unwilling to take leaveā€¦ā€
In the context of this quaint, archaic writing, ā€˜taking leaveā€™ has nothing to do with going on holiday/vacation. Neither was the ā€˜poor young manā€™ wanting to squeeze past the fat lady and exit the room, lol.

Rather, taking leave here means something like asking permission to interrupt the fat ladyā€™s repetitive speech where she discussed all but what he needed her to say, which was in fact his amount of pay: ā€œHe would have liked to hear the figure of his salary; but just as he was nervously about to sound that noteā€¦ā€

It must be my age (!) but I still remember my grandmother using that old-fashioned term.
Also, when law courts apply for leave to appeal, for example, the meaning of ā€˜leaveā€™ is to get permission or right to appeal, rather than meaning getting time out to do so.

ā€œTo take leaveā€ is used sometimes nowadays, but only as the go on vacation meaning. Creimann may be right in regards to the story though. I didnā€™t look too thoroughly myself. Whatever it means in the story, the thing to remember is that, people donā€™t use that exact expression in that exact way anymore.

You may be spot on there. The first instance of ā€˜taking leaveā€™ in the lesson might be about venturing to speak. There isnā€™t really much context to draw from, in the first paragraph. Later on, though, the same expression is used in relation to departing.

@ creimann - ah, now you get it. I concur, it was about venturing to speak. But also, one didnā€™t just interrupt back then - one would ask permission to butt in. Nowā€¦if only my kids came on boardā€¦:slight_smile:

Nodding in agreement at the different second usage: the young man, that is, the young prospective student - not the same as the ā€˜poor young manā€™ who is in fact the new tutor, takes ā€œleave of his motherā€ - where he departs from her presence. In other words, the boy leaves the room.

This is quite an advanced text for non-native English speakersā€¦even English speakers wouldnā€™t necessarily have sophisticated nuanced understanding of this contentā€¦LOL, being cheeky here.

Ah, itā€™s very likely too in this context that ā€˜taking leaveā€™ meant the boy asked permission of his mother to leave prior to leaving the room, though itā€™s unspoken. He would have been required by his mother to be there to meet the prospective tutor, and would have needed her assent to leave.

@Ninche - hereā€™s my two centsā€™ worth: being able to understand old-fashioned, out of date language has nothing to do with fluency, if thatā€™s your primary goal.

I might one day speak fluent Japanese and Chinese, but not necessarily be able to read ancient classics. Reading out of date English is a bit like reading the King James Bible: for example, ā€œJesus saidā€¦prevent the children from coming to Meā€, even though the meaning clearly implied in that context is "let the children!

The Pupil content has even more difficult terms of phrase than the ā€˜taking leaveā€™. But of course, weā€™re all free to study whatever we like. I just note that you said on your profile that your main goal is fluency. Keep up the good work!

Thank you all! Yes, my main goal is fluency, but I want to be able to read old books, stories, etcā€¦ (the language of literature, new AND old, as well)