What content can we share in the Latin library

I’ve been importing lessons for my own use from texts like Aesop’s Fables and Latin GSCE Reader. I’ve even added in the macrons myself to allow for more accurate pronunciation with the Restored Classical Pronunciation. I might even record audio myself.

There are apparently copyrighted texts intended for beginners which often lack audio and even macrons. Are we supposed to not share them, even if we improve them by marking vowel lengths and recording audio? I’m somewhat at a loss as to what to do. Without permission to share them, it’s much more difficult to build a sizeable audio-visual library of appropriate Latin texts, which Latin learners desperately need to learn it like a modern language. If we have to resort to out-of-copyright texts, we might end up with very old-fashioned “modern” Latin - which isn’t terrible but would still short-change Latin learners. This is not a problem for other languages because there is such an abundance of material that not having access to copyright material isn’t going to be fatal to your progress.

Learners need graded material and much of it for Latin is copyright material made for schools.

What to do?

2 Likes

Hey. Great you are taking care of Latin Learners. As a Librarian, I think I can definitely answer:

You cannot share copyrighted Material directly. That is just how it is.

However, if the content is copyrighted but free, you can create a external lesson. That usually works because the user has to import it himself.

The best part is that you can still modify how the lesson is in terms of macrons etc.

Audio however is not automatically imported so if you want to provide users with audio in external lessons, they’ll have to be at least YouTube audio or something along those lines.

I hope that helped.

2 Likes