What are your opinions about Learning Vocabulary on Lingq?

I’ve been struggling to improve my Engslih on Lingq for 3 months, effectively. However, I’ve noticed that i haven’t used vocabulary section of Lingq. Do you use Lingq’s flashcards ? If you use which method do you use while reviewing them ?

My Lingqs are increasing day by day and I cannot add them into my know words basket easily. Even though i’m passionate to learn new vocabularies, only way to add them into my known words is to get across same words again and again. If i see the unknown word again , i mark it as an 1,2,3,4 in order…When it reaches the fourth level i mark it as a known word. Consequently, this process makes me slower towards learning vocabularies.I don’t like reviewing them, either. It is boring. :slight_smile:

What do you think about my process of learning new words ? Should i continue like that ?

Your method is quite all right. I personally don’t review flashcards either. If you find it boring, by all means feel free to skip it. Some people do like it but it’s always a secondary activity. Your vocabulary will increase through repeated exposure.
It is completely normal that your lingqs grow much faster than your known word count and yes, the process of learning new words is gradual and takes some time.
There are several possible criteria to decide when a word is “known”. I use the one that Steve Kaufman proposes: if you think that you’ll be able to understand it if you encounter it again in a similar context, do mark it as “known”.
Don’t feel compelled to go through all the four stages before doing so

I do what you do. I find that, if you go to the vocabulary section of LingQ to use the flashcards, it’s more random, kind of out of context, vocabulary.

What I usually do, is if I am a beginner in the language, I’ll go through the lesson, and do the flash cards a couple of times.

At a higher level, if the article has less than 10 words, then I’ll do the flashcards at the end after reading, and then move on.

I tried flashcards many times beginning from paper cards. I always have the same problem: there are words which do not want to be remembered. I may look at them 100 times with the same results: I just know that it’s that words which I cannot remember :slight_smile:

How are you enjoying Japanese on Ling? Enjoying how smooth it is?

I can’t really figure out how to organize my flash cards when I get 10’s of thousands of lingqs. I haven’t bothered, personally I just read, read, and read some more.

2 Likes

I think, Lingq is very efficient system if we read very much on it. Exposure to the language and reading that’s all. In order to improve this efficiency, while you’re reading German,Polish do you feel like ‘I don’t know many words, damm it … :(’ Beacause , I feel the same while i was reading English some times. It makes me sad and unmotivated towards to language . Although there are lots of unknown words in my English, I don’t know how i can make them known words. It is totally a motivational problem …

Hahaha
Yeah, really smooth!
I’m not really reading a lot of Japanese. It’s just part of the languages that I sometimes have a look at

I don’t review flashcards. I think, it’s a very time consuming activity. I find it boring. I also use the Steve Kaufmann’s method to mark a word as “known”. If I think that I’ll remember it when I see in a similar context, I turn it to “white”.

BTW I think that listening is as effective as reading to learn vocabulary. What I find to be highly effective is to listen to something and read the transcript at the same time, then listen to it later to see if I can understand it better. Reading and “listening and reading the transcript at the same time” are two different activities IMO. The latter is highly effective.

The only time flashcards have ever worked for me, was when I was at university and I had to remember the Latin names for about 50 plants. It was for an exam. It worked very well in that situation, however has soon as the exam was gone I soon forgot pretty much all of them, and very quickly.

I agree, this method works fine if you need to absorb much material really fast but then it’s hard to maintain it.

Same for me. Then I started Lingq I used flashcards, but now I listen and read.

I am also working on improving my English here at lingq. In every lesson I find some unknown words or words where I am not sure about the translation into my native language. So I make them lingq but I do not worry about them because as I continue to read and listen to further lessons I again meet some of these words and as they are already (more) familiar to me I move them to level 2 or 3 or sometimes directly to known words. So my advice is continue to read a lot and do not worry about unknown words or many lingq. So my experience fully supports what Steve says about this topic.

I use tags on words, or phrases, that I figure I can work into a conversation or my writing. That way, I only review cards that are really relevant to me.

I also use tags for words that I find difficult to pronounce.

Having said that, I’ve been pretty lazy about doing it lately.

I do the same thing @ilearnlang does, it works well, but I have been thinking that I should use the flashcards. I mean, there are words that the gap of appearance is big, so the read-read-read does not really work.

I actually do hate de flashcards interface in this site, for some reason. I like anki more, do you know if there’s a easy way to export the lingqs here to anki?

It depends on you - someone likes learning words using Flashcards and someone not.
I don’t believe that you can remember all words only by reading but it’s not necessary to remember all words yoou haver met in the textt. You can remember the more important words by reading and listening if you do it every day at least one hour.
What about me, I repeat my words once a week using Multiple choice.
I’m studying 7 languages in different levels, so on Moday I repeat my words in English for a week, on Tuesday - in French, on We - in Spanish etc.

This is not relevant to the OP but reading through the replies about grievances with one’s knowledge of English, I must say, perhaps from literary standpoint vocabulary is weak, and yeah there were some syntax hiccups, but the English for ordinary conversational use is very good. Kudos.

It depends on the situation. I think that sometimes allowing your mind to work hard to try to remember words and such is crucial to efficient language learning. That being said, too much is probably worse than not at all. Right now I spend about 1/8th of my time reviewing vocabulary, and it’s working great.

I don’t review anything from lingq, because I don’t think someone who’s main goal is to become good at conversation should use reading as the primary source. When I use lingq I just read, mouse over stuff that I don’t know, and create links to the blue words I don’t know. I think it’s a waste of time to worry about those little numbers, or try to go back and turn yellow words white. I’m trying to acquire a language, not micro-manage a database.