What are your Language Goals for 2022?

Wow. 300 hours italki. You are ambigous. I made 116 in 2021 and thought that was good :rofl:All the best with your French studies. I also want to learn French but that has to wait a bit longer.

I will just paste the numbers right from my profile.

These are lifetime totals to reach in 2022. The least important to me are the Known Words counts. This amounts to ~400 hours listening in each “main” TL and ~2.000.000 words read in each TL.

Deutsch - 110.000 Known Words, 850 Hours Listening, 6.000.000 Words Read, 120 Hours Speaking
Svenska - 100.000 Known Words, 850 Hours Listening, 6.000.000 Words Read, 120 Hours Speaking
Norsk - 100.000 Known Words, 850 Hours Listening, 6.000.000 Words Read, 120 Hours Speaking
Dansk - 60.000 Known Words, 300 Hours Listening, 3.000.000 Words Read, 50 Hours Speaking

In addition, I intend to read at least 75 novels not in English.

I may “dabble” Dutch and Icelandic, but will not have a goal set for either.

Spanish
50,000 known words (Not counting words that have the same base)
1,000 listening hours (about 2.5 hours per day this is done while driving, walking or watching tv)
150 Speaking (3 hours of formal lessons a week) (I already take about 7 hours worth of lessons per week and have been doing this for about 7 month)

Swahili NEW!
10,000 known words (basic traveling, ordering food, directions, and greetings)
300 Listening (about 1 hour per day, this is yet another walking time)
100 speaking (2 hours of tutoring per week)

Those italki lessons add up and fast. I am working with a tutor that I meet on italki. We are working together to create the lessons that I need and she can also use those in the future. I have moved off the italki platform because I have hired my tutor to work with me on an educational project in my target language. My starting buget is $1,500 but I am sure I will reach $3,000 on this project. So buget those lessons.
My spansih lessons are about $600 per year plus addional expences when I travel and work with host schools.

My goal is to get my Russian from about 19000 known words to somewhere from 50000-70000 this year.
When I am at about 30-40000 I want to further deepen my listening practise and at about 50-70000 go hard on speaking :smiley:

This is a good goal to have and something to shoot for in and of itself. I started Spanish in high school and then every few years I would get back into and study a lot for a few weeks at a time. Until I found LingQ, then I studied more frequently and had more fun doing it, but still only for a few weeks or month at a time with huge gaps in between.

The game changer for me was a solid three months, Steve’s first 90 Day Challenge, from Jan-April 2014. It made all the difference. I would still slack off for months at a time, and never made it a full three months again. Often times I would not make contact unless I had to speak to the occaisional Latino at work. I finally “finished” Spanish on 12/29/21, but I wonder if I’ll be able to stick to a new langauge dilligently enough to take two years in French for example at 500 hours per year, so it may take even longer. Maybe not because I’d be doing it “right” from the beginning.

My point is that I think you are RIGHT in wondering "where it would take me if I put in a couple of hours/day for an entire year. " I think you’d he awesome. You might also be right in guessing you’ll “never find out.” However, it is possible to get there with just the goal of making contacting as often as you can and shooting for not having as much time pass in between.

Damn! That’d be impressive. Buena suerte, Senor!

Guten taag frowlein!

I have a friend who wants to learn Croatian and Italian. Just got him hooked on LingQ a couple years ago.

Let me know when you start French. It’s on my list too.

I’m still working out my 2022 goals and I’ll probably post these thoughts in a separate threat as I plan to elaborate on some other experiences; however, I do plan to start a new langauge, which will involve at least a 90 Day challenge.

At the moment, I am strongly considering Latin. Regardless, I expect most of the 90 Day challenget to be consumed by introductory texts (Teach Yourself, etc) and then possibly reading at LingQ, so my stats will not necessarily reflect my anticipated diligence.

My main goal…Enjoy the process of continuing learning German.

Very vague, but with so many things going on in my life it’s hard to outline specific goals AND if I get behind due to REAL LIFE I hate feeling like I need to catch up or that I missed my goal.

Having said that, I do want to try and set more time aside for writing and speaking (even if just to myself). Probably primarily writing. I also would like to amp up my listening time. I’ve already done so for the most part, but I’d like to do more if possible.

I will likely be visiting Germany again early summer. Hopefully I’ll notice an improvement understanding my gf’s family, although I still expect to be a little disappointed here, but no worries. I keep plugging away.

If I have time I’d like to improve my Spanish a bit, but still will take a back seat to German.

Hi @tbinder,

May I ask where you’re studying Swahili please?

Regards.

Mine are pretty flexible. The only one I have for certain is to finish Advanced 2 in Spanish, but that could happen in February or even this month. I might also aim to get from Beginner 1 to Advanced 2 in Italian, but maybe I´ll just leave it. I might study Polish but I probably won´t. Other than that my goals are just to improve my French, Dutch, Norwegian, Faroese and Spanish, especially the first 2 and especially the output, speaking being #1 and writing being #2.

Yeah, I’d LOVE to learn Swahili, but I’ve got my hands full with Arabic and Portuguese, on top of all of my university crap. :-/

Chinese:
Reach 3 million words read
Catch up on the listening hours I missed when I didn’t use Lingq for about a year (so 0,5 a day plus about 100 that I’m behind on right now)
Keep up my streak for the entire year

French:
Finish Thomas Piketty’s “Capital in the 21st century”

German:
Finish Harry Potter and the philosopher’s stone
Reach 10.000 known words

And I’d like to get started on learning some basic Italian :slight_smile:

I am working with a teacher from Kenya. Currently, I am teaching her a method that is well used in ELL programs so we can streamline my lesson, she is on italki and another platform (Jacinta S. feel free to contact her and ask about greeting lesson 1). I do pay her about $10 per hour but learning a language is a huge investment of time and money. When I find something that I want to learn I create the lessons and we work together to make the modifications. All of the lessons are based upon space repetition.

I do have the benefit of having a good friend from Kenya as well as a student and her mother. I have also started using Pimsleur as a foundation for tone and accent. It is my goal to take formal lessons in the Fall and apply for an exchange program next year.

As a bonus and my motivation I will be visiting Kenya for a month this summer!

Thanks so much for responding and sharing :).

I was born and raised in Southern Africa so I have lived in the region.

I started learning Zulu when in school, but Swahili has always held a fascination for me!

I have a ‘remote worker’ whom I employ sometimes who’s based in Kenya…so I have that resource to make use of as and when required.

I purchased Memrise on the ‘50% off’ deal a couple days ago, and it has some amazing Swahili resources/content which I’ll utilise until (hopefully) we get Swahili on here.

I started with Darija, and find it hard because there is so little written, as it is mostly spoken in Morocco. So I am also trying to learn some standard modern English. I would like to be able to speak to Moroccans on the street by next fall. Just simple questions and conversations.

my language learning goal for 2022 is doing output more. For example find a language partner to prectice my speaking skill, and reading books.

Hello, Mike/Mac.
I live in northern Limpopo, South Africa, these days. Almost everyone around me is a Sepedi speaker. Unlike Zulu, but like most of SA’s many languages, there are very few resources for teaching an English speaker even the most basic level of local language. My goal for 2022 is to improve on the little Sepedi that I have, while trying to avoid getting my Dutch confused with Afrikaans. Good luck with your Swahili!
Harold

Hi Harold,

Thanks for sharing buddy!

I was raised in what was then Northern Natal, so it was ‘big Zulu country’ lol…we were only 30 mins away from the Rourke’s Drift battleground!

So in school we were taught 3 languages, English, Afrikaans + Zulu.

I actually really enjoyed Zulu at the time, and didn’t find it as hard as I’ve seen mentioned online before - and may return to it at some stage in my language learning journey :slight_smile:

Ja, Dutch & Afrikaans must have some serious ‘overlapping’ lol!

All the best for your language journey buddy and stay safe!

Mike