What are your favourite aphorisms for language learning?

Sometimes there is something really motivating about hearing a good aphorism that fits the situation you happen to be in at the moment. Since motivation is key to learning, I would like to start a thread about some of the aphorisms that you think are very appropriate to your language learning journey.

Two that recently struck me are:

“When you find yourself in hole, stop digging.” (Will Rogers) This applies to when you are pounding away at boring content that you can’t seem to let go of because of a sense of completism. That, and when you are looking for the meaning of a word or phrase that fits the context you find it in and it seems very elusive, even though the term or phrase is probably not usually used that way and it is probably the first of a total of 1 or 2 times you will see it used in that way in your life.

Another, which I particularly like because of the wordplay is: " It is not enough to stare up the steps – we must step up the stairs." (Anonymous?) This is particularly apt when you are a beginner at a language, especially if this state has lasted an inordinately long time :slight_smile:

So what are your favourite aphorisms for language learning?