Whaddaya Say? Guided Practice in Relaxed Speech (Book+Audio)

Whaddaya Say?, 2nd edition, by Nina Weinstein, helps intermediate to high-intermediate students understand English as it is really spoken. This easy-to-use listening program familiarizes students with the rapid speech commonly used in everyday life.

In particular, the book introduces students to the most common reduced forms – such as *gonna (“going to” + verb), *wanna (natural speed pronunciation for “want to”), and *hafta (“have to”) – fully contextualized in conversations that are both practical and entertaining.

Using language students encounter in everyday situations, Whaddaya Say? explains the most common pronunciation changes that occur when English speakers talk at a natural speed. This allows all students to improve their comprehension of spoken English, both inside and outside the classroom.
http://materialesdeinglesgratuitos.blogspot.com/

Hola,
Thank you for your recommendation. I don’t have this book, but I heard of it. I have read and listened to the author’s interview with VOA and they talk about the pronunciation changes that occur when English speakers talk at a natural speed.

You can find Nina Weinstein’s interviews in LingQ English library. Just type " Whaddaya Say?" in search box. There are two lessons there.

One word of caution to learners of English. Be very careful in trying to use relaxed speech yourself. It has to come naturally. It sounds very strange when a non-native uses relaxed speech unless that person is very fluent. Learn to recognize it, and this content is great for that purpose, but I suggest you resist the temptation to use it.

I think that someone who is learning to speak English should learn to listening to English too. Sometimes it is difficult for me to understand native speakers, that’s because they use reduced forms, so, I am learning how to understand them, I do not want to speak like them, but just understand what they are saying.