V5 incredibly Slow + Stressful

“It shouldn’t be too laggy”: I recommend not replying to paying customers in this way. It’s we that tell you what’s too laggy.

i can’t run thru the page like I could on V4, but at least I can hobble along. But a option in V5 to use the TTS Engine instead of the Server would ficks the probelm…

Yes, I never had that problem with version 4, this is an entirely new thing. Also, the timestamps don’t appear to be working for any of the lessons, since it’s using the TTS voice to generate the audio in Sentence Mode, rather than using the original lesson audio, as it did in version 4 (with the exception of audioless news reports).

I’ve found that the main TTS problem for me is that it’s using the TTS voice in the Sentence Mode, rather than using the original lesson dialogue, as before in version 4. This is slightly problematic because the TTS voice often doesn’t know how to pronounce things properly and is left to a guestimate with relation to Arabic, particularly if the diacritic marks aren’t visible in the text. This also causes the Quran to be pronounced abysmally in Sentence Mode. I opened up some of the lessons and found than the timestamps are no longer visible in any of the lessons and thought that this may have something to do with it. Is there any way of switching the original lesson audio to be segmented into Sentence Mode?

I believe we should be able to toggle this.

I’ve been searching for a way to toggle this, but have so far not found any settings allowing me to do such in the app or on the desktop. Any suggestions?

Prehaps a menu option to toggle to choose TTS engine instead of from the server? I’ts been suggested here

Sometime some words dn’t fetch at all, or take hours. I just tried to fectch “Namalowalem”, and it wont text to speech it. I had this happened a few times, and sometimes if one word won’t fetch text to speech, it stops other words fetching for a long while. I reatart the phone amd still wont fetch, then hour or so kater it fetches

Not all lessons have timestamps but, if the lesson does have timestamps, they will play just as they do in v4. Also, in Sentence Mode, you can Edit Sentence and easily add the timestamps.

It works great for me on Firefox now! :slight_smile:

We are working on some fixes for tts including substituting local tts when the server tts is slow. We may also add an option to switch to local tts as well. A new version was pushed yesterday for the android app which should be working more quickly with web tts. At any rate, more improvements in this area are planned.

How do I edit the sentence if it’s in a lesson that’s uploaded by someone else? How do I switch off TTS for good and play the audio from the video source and NOT the TTS? I tried to disable TTS in the settings, but the toggle switch doesn’t seem to change anything. I also tried to add timestamps to my own imports, but it didn’t do anything. It also won’t allow me to link an audio file, the “add” button just remains grey, even when I’ve typed the link address into the form.

yep, still doesnt work,.

You should see an option to Edit Sentence in the … menu in the Reader in Sentence Mode. All Premium users should see this for most Library lessons and all users will see this for their own lessons.
There are a bunch of TTS settings in the Reader settings. I recommend becoming familiar with all settings there. Auto TTS off seems to work fine for me.
We’ll check the url import form for audio again but it should be working.

Its ruined againe… V5 android app was fast, but the server just went down (Android app wouldnt work, webiste too). When it came back, the Android app is totaly slow again! lol Not only does it heve to fetch each word from thr server all over again, with the several second delay, but even words already fetched now dont seem as quick. I hope every tiime V5 is updated, it doesnt reset it so there is this looooong fetching each word from the server to make text to speech! It was so bettery with the quick TTS engine… …

I only heve the one setting “Autoplay Text to Speech?” (aNdroid app)

Ahh…I was referring to the web app. On Android, that is the only setting. Since you referred to inputting timestamps, I assumed you were on web. The TTS setting only controls the word/phrase TTS in the Reader when you tap on words and phrases.
The sentence TTS will always play unless the lesson audio has been timestamped. If you want to timestamp your audio, you can only do this on the web app. Open that lesson on the web and input timestamps in either the sentence or full text editor.

I’m mostly using the Android mobile app wherein it’s now generating the Sentence Mode audio using the TTS voice, rather than the timestamped source audio, the latter of which is my preference. I’d rather that be the primary audio source, since the TTS voice isn’t always the most intuitive when it comes to the correct pronounciation of words. When I go into the editor, it now shows each sentence flanked by the word “paragraph” in bold, where it would previously said “timestamp” and there’s a button to “regenerate” the lesson, however this doesn’t seem to do the same thing as the “recutting” option in the previous version. I tried this on the desktop version for no other reason than I can’t type into the mobile forum form for some reason.

@Naguib Sentence View plays TTS if there are no timestamps. If you hear TTS, that means that lesson has no timestamps. If you want to add them, you can do so on the web version. These timestamps will then work across platforms. We hope to enable more and more lessons with timestamps but this will take some time.
If you click on a sentence in the Lesson Editor, you will see the timestamp fields there. Or, in Sentence mode, click on Edit Sentence to edit the lesson one sentence at a time.
Regenerate lesson will allow you to make major edits to the text before re-splitting into sentences. In many languages, you should see a Generate Timestamps option in the lesson edit page which tries to match the audio file and text and automatically timestamp. You can try this too.

That shouldn’t be the case. Once cached on the app, that tts audio should be there permanently. Are you sure, those were the same words you had tapped previously?