Using ChatGPT to summarize an article as a dialogue

I don’t think anyone has suggested this idea, so I’m presenting it now as it just occurred to me…

The past few days I’ve been asking ChatGPT to take articles that I copy and paste to it and summarize the article, giving the main points and to highlight key vocabulary and phrases along with the english translations.

eg. Could you summarize the following article in German along with key vocabulary with english translation? Here is the article including title and author:

This has been suggested by others, so nothing earth shattering here, but a good way to get some “quicker” reading done of news articles.

We’ve all also asked ChatGPT to give us a dialogue.

I thought it might be interesting to have ChatGPT create a dialogue about the article/summary. This seems to work pretty well if you’re looking for a more dialogue oriented style. One good thing about this, (seemingly), is that for German (and other languages) news, actions reported are given in a particular tense that is not typically used in conversation. So doing this gives you more practice with typical tenses used in conversation.:

eg:
for the german summarization you did above, could you do it in the style of two Germans have a conversation about it

Of course! Here’s a dialogue between two Germans discussing the article:

Hans: Hast du von dem Erdbeben in Marokko gehört?

Anna: Ja, ich habe gerade einen Artikel darüber gelesen. Marokko war anscheinend sehr zurückhaltend bei der Annahme von internationaler Hilfe.

Hans: Wirklich? Weshalb?

Anna: Das marokkanische Innenministerium sagte, dass sie den Bedarf vor Ort sorgfältig bewertet haben. Obwohl viele Länder, einschließlich Frankreich, Hilfe angeboten haben, hat Marokko nicht alles angenommen.

Hans: Das ist interessant. Ich habe gehört, dass es in Frankreich Diskussionen darüber gab, weil Marokko ihre Hilfe nicht angenommen hat.

Anna: Genau. Aber die französische Außenministerin hat betont, dass Marokko souverän entschieden hat. Trotzdem hat Frankreich NGOs mit fünf Millionen Euro unterstützt.

Hans: Und wie steht es um die Rettungsaktionen vor Ort?

Anna: Teams aus Spanien und Großbritannien sind bereits in den Erdbebengebieten und helfen. Es wurde auch erwähnt, dass Großbritannien 60 Rettungsexperten und sogar vier Suchhunde geschickt hat.

Hans: Das klingt ernst. Wie viele Opfer gibt es?

Anna: Bisher wurden 2,479 Todesopfer und mindestens 2,476 Verletzte gemeldet. Es wird befürchtet, dass die Zahlen noch steigen werden. Marokko hat sogar eine dreitägige Staatstrauer angeordnet.

Hans: Das ist wirklich tragisch. Hoffentlich können die Überlebenden schnell gerettet werden.

Anna: Ja, es ist ein Wettlauf gegen die Zeit. Die ersten 72 Stunden nach dem Erdbeben sind entscheidend für die Bergung von Überlebenden.

Hans: Es wird wahrscheinlich Jahre dauern, bis alles wieder aufgebaut ist, oder?

Anna: Ja, die Internationale Föderation der Rotkreuz- und Rothalbmond-Gesellschaften glaubt, dass der Wiederaufbau in Marokko Jahre in Anspruch nehmen wird.

11 Likes

Love this idea!

BTW, have you seen Voice Control for ChatGPT?

It takes a bit of playing with prompts to get the kind of dialogue you want but it’s possible to start conversing with ChatGPT.

Imagine a whole “AI” tab in LingQ with buttons such as:

[Summarize this Lesson for at My Level]

[Help Me Understand the Slang and Idioms of this Lesson]

[Generate a Natural Conversation about this Lesson]

[Quiz Me About the Vocabulary in this Lesson]

[Quiz Me about the Grammar of this Lesson]

[Quiz Me about the Content of this Lesson]

[Have a Practice Conversation about this Lesson]

3 Likes

Thanks gmeyer…I’ll see about playing around with that. How are the voices?

I haven’t done much playing around with other plugins or extensions for chatgpt. To be honest, I’ve taken a couple months hiatus from using chatgpt except for the odd programming inquiry, but had recently had these ideas pop into my head to try out.

Definitely like your ideas on the potential of incorporation into lingq

Out of the box, it comes with the Google voice and I can toggle it over to the voices I have on my Mac.

On a scale of Steven Hawking to Morgan Freeman, it’s somewhere in between.

See if you can design some LingQ AI integrations. For instance, you can ask such as “What CEFR level is the following text at?” It might be more accurate than what you’re doing.

Related, on your summarization idea, you can give ChatGPT a language level as well as request register of the dialogue.

I’ve done those as well gmeyer (language level for summarization and on the dialogue), but good to point them out for others. Very useful, especially for creating more beginner type dialogues.

I’ve also found that apparently it knows Berlin dialekt (not sure how well it did, but it was pretty cool).

Non ho provato l’italiano

1 Like