Updated Android App

Unfortunately there is a syncing error in the app that prevents the statuses of flashcards from being updated properly to the site. We hope to have this fixed in the next version of the app!

Thanks. Also, I can’t see any of the lingq highlighting when I view a lesson in the app. Everything is in just plain white text. Is this a known issue as well or am I experiencing a unique issue?

I haven’t noticed this problem. Have you tried reinstalling the app to see if that fixes it?

Yes, before posting my question as well as just now. It is still not showing the highlighting in any of the lessons I tried. I just tried viewing a few different lessons of varying lengths. The smallest lesson I opened had 15 lingqs in it.

I wonder if the issue is specific to Japanese. I’ll take a look into this and see what I can find out.

Sounds good, thanks!

When I use this app with a 2G/3G connection, I often get an Error message in spite of being online. Also, when I select “LingQs of the Days”, the view remains on the Lesson tab.

@cgreen0038 - Ah, it seems to be specific to Japanese. We’ll be sure to look at this issue!

@mikebond - Is this while on the go or while stationary? Sometimes you can be knocked out if the signal is too weak, even for a moment.
For the LingQs of the Day issue, it can be a little slow, but if you leave it on the Daily LingQs tab for a bit it should eventually load. We’ll see what we can do to speed this up in future releases.

Thanks for looking into it.

For the issue mikebond brought up - I get the offline error as well when I’m on 2G even when I’m stationary. I just figured my connection was too slow while on 2G. I haven’t noticed an issue going to the “LingQs of the Day” tab… but that isn’t something I’ve done often. I’m not sure if I’ve tried it while being on a 2G connection.

By the way, I noticed something else strange about the syncing that you may or may not already be aware of. It seems to not sync properly the cards being moved from level 3 to level 4 specifically. The other data seems to update OK. I just went through one of my lessons that I had been studying using the flashcard portion of the app and most of the lesson was displayed in the very light level 3 shading. So I bumped a lot of it up to level 4 manually. Much of the lesson was at level 1 when I first read it because there were many new words and I hadn’t been raising the status of the LingQs through means other than the Android app flashcards.

Thanks for the extra info. We’ll be sure to figure out what’s going on with the flashcard synchronization.

I’m not sure if you’ve gotten anywhere with this but I got a bit more use out of the flash card portion of the app and I think I know when it messes up so you should be able to repeat this in testing.

It seems as long as I’m connected on WiFi the app works fine. I can review my flashcards and my stats get updated to the site. The stats will stay updated like that until I open the app and get a connection error and have to work offline. This normally happens when I’m on a 2G connection as I rarely have no connection. I click ‘work offline’ and my lesson lists appears. The lesson I previously reviewed will be listed with the correct amount of cards to review. If I open that lesson and listen to the audio (I don’t have to review the flashcards) and then back out of the lesson, that lesson will then have a new total of flashcards - the LingQs I previously raised from level 3 to 4 are now level 3 again and so I have a higher total of flashcards listed now. Also, my known word total on the website has now dropped to reflect this as well.

Excellent - thank you for your detective work! :slight_smile:

Any bug fixes any time soon? I could put up with not having cards-sync, but not being able to switch languages since I can’t open the settings is already quite a mess!

If not, could you please upload the APK of the old version of the app somewhere?

Hi Eugrus,

Sorry about that. You can find the previous version here: iLingQ Language Learning:Amazon.com:Appstore for Android

@alex I am getting a purchasing error in Amazon Appstore.

“We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions.”

Could you just upload an APK to http://www.4shared.com or wherever? It is going to be an easy way for everyone!

@eugrus - Ah, I wasn’t aware this restriction was in place. Thanks for the suggestion, but we aren’t looking to upload the app to another site and link users there.

We’re working on the app and hope to have a new version for you in the near future. Again, sorry for the inconvenience!