Update on Icelandic

It really is high quality. I’m focused on Swedish at the moment; but, I’ve always wanted to learn Icelandic. I chose Swedish simply because there were more resources at the time and I have more friends to practice with.
I was surprised at how much I could understand (words in isolation) from your recordings.
I’ll definitely have to give it a shot sometime in the future.

I managed to get a group of Faroese people and Faroese students to start translating the mini-stories. A Faroese guy who I found on facebook when I started trying to get this off the ground teaches Faroese to foreigners and he has his students translate as their homework and then he corrects the texts. It´s going to take a while, but I think it will all get done eventually.

You’re on a roll with the good news.

Yeah now that I´ve been able to get my compulsion to reach 60K known words in French out of the way, I can get a lot more done on getting Icelandic into LingQ.

I’ve just joined LingQ and was hoping that Icelandic would be added as a language at some point - so great to see that it’s on the way. It’s so difficult to find resources for Icelandic and I think LingQ would work perfectly! I’m listening to the audio in Google Drive and it sounds great. Very excited to be able to hear it in LingQ in the near future :slight_smile:

I will be adding, on average, at least one story in mp3 form to this folder a day. Some days, I´ll be adding a few, even several of them. I hope to have this done at least in late November if nothing comes up to mess up my plans.

Indeed, the quality is top notch and spoken at what seems to be a perfectly natural pace. This is very encouraging!

Latest update. I will post a separate post when I´ve completed everything, which means having the texts and mp3s of all 60 mini-stories out. I will call that version 1.0, get all the data to Zoran, so it can eventually be added to LingQ and after that I will not change anything in it. If I then ever change anything to make improvements, that will be as a part of a newer version, which I´d store somewhere else.

I now have all the texts, some of which will be corrected slightly and about 22 of the mp3s out, some of which include a female narrator as well as myself. Some things are not completely like I´d have wanted, but I think it´s more important to finish things than let them drag on forever in the name of perfection. Improvements could always be made down the line, even after Icelandic gets added to LingQ. Like I said, I will most likely not post any more updates on this thread. The next update should just be the post where I announce having finished version 1.0

This is incredible!! Thank you so much :slight_smile: I just started, and i’ll be going through the files. Hopefully my brain helps me on this one!

Now I will also put a lot more work into the project, so it should get done quickly.

At the risk of offending some people… or well… maybe not such a big risk cause I have a feeling the kinds of people who like to learn new languages and expand their horizons are probably on the same side as I am on this, let´s just say I was too stressed out in the last few days over something to be able to get much work done, but feel quite a bit better and more relaxed now :wink:

Excellent news (on both fronts)!

I read all of the stories and just started listening. Fantastic job on both the conversion and audio. Luckily for me, I am at a level where they were fairly easy for me to get through. I really appreciate your extra Islandic specific commentary (e.g., there are no trains in Iceland).

Thank you once again for all your hard work. Many of us appreciate it.

I still found a few slight errors in the text or reading, but it´s all very minor. I also noticed how there are some “puff” / “pow” sounds when I say some of the hard sounds in Icelandic. I think it can be eliminated by either not speaking directly into the microphone, or putting some filter on or in front of it. Maybe I´ll do that in the future, but right now I´m going to finish the project with what I have.

I am also quite happy to have been able to get my friend Katrín to read the female narratives, because of how Icelandic works, where adjectives change based on gender, it would have been ridiculous to let the learners hear a male voice saying things you´d almost only hear a female voice say in real life.

I think at this point that’s just being perfectionist. The quality is already outstanding. Can’t wait until all this goes up officially on LingQ and the word counting can begin. Thanks again.

I mostly agree. The most important thing is this getting done and Icelandic becoming a usable language in LingQ. As long as the translations are ok, the audio is ok and understandable, I think we can all be happy. I also think a lot of people can get into the rabbit hole of never finishing projects because they always want improvements. Better to finish this, take away the experience and move on from there. It´s quite likely that after the mini-stories, Katrín and I will create more material for LingQ.

Feeling happy, having gotten 31 mp3s out, so past the half-way point in getting the mp3s out. It will not be long now before this is done. Need to re-record a small amount of text, at least have Katrín read a bit where I didn´t realize a woman was speaking in the text, but it´s not a lot of material. I think it should all be done at the end of next week.

The fact that you and your friend Katrin are considering creating more content is absolutely fantastic. Seeing as though your work is really only the 2nd meaningful Icelandic learning resource (i.e., input-based, adult-oriented content in the A1 to B1 levels with both sound and text) available, you should be very proud of your achievement. More content will only make the language more accessible to a wider audience.

Thanks once again for everything you have done.

And, Shazam!: https://www.lingq.com/en/community/forum/open-forum/icelandic-60-mini-stories-are