Typing Special Characters

Sometimes languages use unique characters. For example, Spanish has things like, “ñ,” that upside down question mark, and the upside down exclamation point.

Since I’m quadriplegic, I type and use the mouse by voice. I have not figured a way to type the ASCII codes for these special characters.

Do you know of a little app that will allow me to do this?

You could try Dragon NaturallySpeaking - Dragon Professional Speech Recognition, v16 | Nuance

That link is for the professional individual edition which costs $300 for the new version (not exactly cheap). You can also find older versions online for significantly cheaper rates.

The languages available in that edition are listed below:
Dragon Professional Individual 15

• Dutch
  • English
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Spanish
    The home edition is $150 for the new version but only includes English and German as installable languages.

There do seem to be apps that might do the trick if you’re on android or ios. Alternatively, there are tools online if you search for ‘ascii converter’ (I imagine you must have used one to type or copy and paste the ñ). However, those methods are more cumbersome than just dictating in the language directly with dragon.

The problem is that I use that software for English dictation. I don’t imagine that Nuance is ready to consider a polyglot version…

Thank you, anyway!

My understanding of how it works is that you install both languages and have a separate profile for each. You can then switch between them when you’re doing your English dictation and when you’re typing in a foreign language.

1 Like