Translation in imported lessons not showing

Just imported a lesson into English and wanted to add a translation but it’s not showing up. It’s there in the edit section but doesn’t show up in the lesson itself.

Can you share the lesson url so we can have a look?

Here it is: Login - LingQ

I actually added two translations, but only one is sitting there in the edit section.

I think if the translation is English it will show up in any case, but if the translation is, for example, Japanese, it will show up only if your native language is set as Japanese.

As dooo says, the resources that appear are based on your native language and your interface language. To see the Japanese translation, you will want to probably change your interface language to Japanese.

I’m a bit confused about the whole importing lessons system.

Obviously, I’m not creating lessons for myself. In the typical situation, I’m creating them for other people, people who don’t speak my language.

If there is a translation I want to include that, as eg., in the TED Talks. Given what you’re saying, I’d have to change the native language which I probably don’t speak. Perhaps a minor inconvenience. I guess you don’t want all the translations showing up. Perhaps a dropbox list of available translations would be a solution.

I have a more significant question as to what exactly is the situation with copyright. I want to create lessons specifically for people interested in design with articles from Monocle. But that’s copyrighted right? My student wants to read Monocle, but it’s very difficult so she needs to learn many words. LingQ would be the perfect way for her to do it. I also want to use it for listening by recording myself. Is that legal?

Probably the best thing for you to do would be to either (1) import the lessons, keep them private, then use the “Share on LingQ” feature at the bottom to share it with your student(s) or (2) simply have your students import these lessons themselves. As long as it’s not shared publicly, you’re good to go. Also, if you add a Japanese translation, this translation will appear for anyone else who has Japanese as either their native or interface language.

We made the decision to limit the number of translations that appear simply because for the vast majority of people, they don’t need translations in languages other than their native language, interface language or English. The current setup makes it easy to see whether there are translations or other resources for languages that are relevant to you.

Yeah, that should do it. Didn’t see that function.

I’m gonna look around for information about using magazine articles but if you know anything more specific do let me know.

It seems that for system that is based around reading authentic materials like magazine articles there remain obstacles to making such materials publicly available.

Or perhaps I just haven’t figured this out yet.

For the most part, sharing content is fairly straightforward. It’s only when copyrights come into the mix that things become more complicated.
Essentially the issue that you face is trying to share copyrighted content, which is something we can’t really help you all that much with.

The importance of authentic materials for this method of learning would make the copyright situation more significant then you suggest, I’d say.

@elpaloca: But there is not much LingQ can do about Copyright. There are laws and LingQ has to respect them. Otherwise LingQ would run into problems. Maybe LingQ would be judged to pay a fortune if they don’t respect Copyright laws. As a business company LingQ could not take that risk.

You’re welcome to contact the content provider and ask them if they would let you share the content, but in the end it is up to the person/people who created the content. We respect copyrights to the best of our ability, and have no interest in publicly distributing copyrighted content that we have not received permission to distribute.

All members can use copyright protected material for their own study. I use such content every day. I just cannot share it with others. I can tell them where to find it however, and we try to let people know of good sources of great audio and text content. This all works very well in my view, and allows us to protect the rights of people who create content.

Ok, if you say so.

If your student has the appropriate interface/native language setting, he will see the translation on his account. (Do you need to see the translation under your account settings?)

As I mentioned, it’s a minor inconvenience that I can’t. Anyway, the discussion has moved on to the question of copyright and a fair amount of what looks to me like browbeating. I’m starting to see from reading the forums that there are ways around this on this website. Still, I just can’t help seeing some heavy ironies here. I will try to work through this and see if it’s workable.

elpolaco wrote:

"It seems that for system that is based around reading authentic materials like magazine articles there remain obstacles to making such materials publicly available. "

Yes, that obstacle would be copyright, if you’re hoping to share the material publicly. Sharing the content privately wouldn’t be a problem. You yourself brought this up.

Bizarre