To my Canadian friends

Unfortunately hockey will remain a peripheral sport here in America. The Czech Russian game made it on TV because it was the midday game, the Canada US game which was more of a primetime game was shown on an NBC cable channel MSNBC while the regular station showed curling and ice skating I think… No one cared a bit about that game except the Canadians unfortunately, (every Canadian except Brodeur apparently).

blindside,

There is a great hockey tradition in the US in places like Massachussets (however you spell that state), Minnesota, Michigan, New York and elsewhere. There have been some excellent American hockey players.

Most of the good ones have Canadian blood lines, and that include Ryan Millar, whose grandpa is from Saskatchewan and ended up playing hockey in Michigan.

You see hockey skills come from a gene that evolves from a variety of environmental and cultural factors and is then passed on. This gene is largely missing from the American populace except for a select few descendants of Canadians. It is very widely distributed in Canada, and other northern countries. It can be acquired quite quickly (Iginla’s dad was Nigerian). Usually people with this gene exhibit other traits like intelligence, sexual prowess,common sense, and good looks. But as I said,this gene is rare in the US.

ahhhh boys boys…

All your fun and attempts at comedy don’t change the 5 to 3 score, may you guys continue to beat up on countries even smaller than you and almost lose to the Swiss again…

I was born in Montreal, now living in Vegas. Weather’s nice here but obviously, not a lot of outdoor ice, unless you count the miniature floating ice rink at Lake Las Vegas! Well at least they don’t have a hot tub for fans to relax with the cheerleaders at Wrangler’s games or lame frozen T-shirt contests like they do in some other US city I shouldn’t mention! And of course, we have Bars don’t ever close like they all do in Canada.

“Bars don’t ever close like they all do in Canada.”
last time I was in Montreal, that was not true :wink:

Ed you party animal! :slight_smile:

ahh yes, those days are gone, replaced by kids and such

By the way, GO CANADA

NO, no!
Vperyod, Rossiya!

to Rasana and all our Russian friends. We are all looking forward to the match today. It should be a doozer.

What time (Vancouver) is the match, please?

4.30 pm

Thanks Steve.

1st period: Canada 4 - Russia 1

my god… poor russia easily a top 3 team and has to feel the full force of a sad Canada…

Vperyoooooooooooooooood, Rossiya!

Final Score: Canada 7 - Russia 3

w00t w00t!

Steve,
do not sign up for my Russian discussions! :))) And do not submitwritings to me! :)) And do not use my shared Russian lessons! :)))))))))))

These things have to be put in perspective. This is the first victory for Canada over a Russian/USSR team at the Olympics since 1960. There is a tremendous rivalry between Canada and Russia in hockey. If this were a seven game series we would not know the result until the last period of the last game.

So this is just one game.

I think the Russian were not as hungry as the Canadians. They may have a few players of a skill level that no Canadians can match. Yet you still have to backcheck. I was surprised at the casual attitude of the Russian team towards team defense. I suspect that a team from the KHL, that did not rely on superstars would have done better.

I read somewhere before the game, that’ if Canada wins, it would be the first time when USSR/Russia takes place lower than 4th for the last XX years.
(I should send this sentence for correction)