Tips to learn Russian from scratch on LingQ

Hi everyone!

I recently decided to learn Russian from scratch and use LingQ to do so. I’m a native French speaker and I’m also fluent in English. I lived a few years in America and really learned English there by being constantly exposed to the language (even though I learned English in school it didn’t really seem to help). Therefore LingQ made sense to me.

So far I love it but it is also, as expected, very difficult. I wonder if there are people who have actually been there and learned Russian from scratch using this platform. If so, it would be great to have some feedback and tips! How did you organize yourself? What were the different steps to your journey?

I love the freedom that LingQ provides but at the same time it is easy to get lost.
So far I read (or at least tried to read) a bunch of lessons, made many LingQs and planned on listening to these lessons while going to work starting next week (I have an hour of public transportation to get there).
I also reviewed the LingQs I made but it still feels hard to remember the words and their translation.

I have to say it is very inspiring to see people that know thousands of words in different languages. I’m definitely willing to put the work in but a few tips would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Having read your post, I unvoluntary suppose that you would like as a lot of beginners to overjump right away from scratch to the advanced level in Russian though you recognized that you had been learning English for many years at school and then in America before you were able to speak in English fluently.
The magic occurs from time to time but mostly in the fairy tails.
Russian is a very interesting but quite difficult language. It’s impossible to learn it in a go. It needs a long study with some ups and downs. Moreover, you can’t speak Russain without some solide base in Russian grammar although it’s possible to a certain extent in English.
IMO, it’ is the only correct way to learn Russian - to go ahead “step by step”, repeating every lesson many times and collecting graduallly some popular words and some important grammar rules.
I belive my Russian courses in Lingq can help you during this long but interesting and worthy Russian study. I have lessons and podcasts for all levels but here I can give you links to my Russian courses for beginners:

The small simple Russian lessons for beginners you can find in my courses in Lingq:
РУССКИЙ С НУЛЯ (Russian from zero):

ПЕРВЫЕ ШАГИ (First steps):

БАЗОВЫЕ МОДЕЛИ (Basic patterns for beginners):

МОИ ПЕРВЫЕ ТЕКСТЫ:

МОИ ПЕРВЫЕ ДИАЛОГИ:

6 Likes

Just keep reading. I knew about 1200 flashcards and a pretty decent amount of grammar before starting Russian on LingQ but didnt really know how to read and understand the language. Keep a focus on number of words read and read very easy content until you can gain some traction. Then keep grinding every day with some sanity breaks thrown in.

I started Arabic recently and it‘s my first language on LingQ where I started from absolute zero. Since ive learned so much in other languages on LingQ I have complete confidence that I can do the same in Arabic.

At first it’ll feel like reading is essentially just remembering random words like flashcards but when you start to get a little understanding of the sentence is when things really take off.

Lastly, I don’t know what your goals are but building a very solid foundation of listening comprehension even on the easiest lessons is incredibly important. For russian I didn’t really focus on listening until my reading was pretty advanced, but with Spanish and French I started much earlier with listening. The mini stories are great for putting in a playlist and listening to hundreds of times each.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Something i didn’t mention earlier which I found to be extremely helpful is the sentence mode. I started using this recently and it makes all of the difference when just beginning a language.

2 Likes

Before jumping into Lingq from scratch it is advisable to get some idea of the basics of the language. It will make things so much easier. Basic concepts like the alphabet, conjugations, verbal aspect, gramatical cases and verbs of motion. There are a number of resources for that freely available on the Internet, including Youtube channels. Some people here have found useful paid resources like “Colloquial”, “Teach Yourself Russian” and Assimil. Personally I have used Duolingo to introduce myself to languages, but it takes a while to complete a Duolingo course.

1 Like

Learnrussian.rt.com has lots of great lessons.

I started from scratch here on LingQ, only learning the alphabet before. It´s possible by using the Mini Storys, Greetings and Goodbyes and Who is she :slight_smile: In the beginning you need a lot of repetition and patience . Eventually you will start to understand. You just have to keep going :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m trying to get the audio work on LearnRussian, but without success. What can I do?

Hmm… It sounds like what you’re recommending is an awful lot to bite off at once, though perhaps that’s not your intent. I just glanced at the link that aronald recommended below and see that they have 86 grammar tables. Yikes! I probably know most of whats in those tables, but I sure didn’t learn it all at once.

But I do agree that having an idea of what you’re seeing in the grammar while reading will jump-start your acquisition of the grammar, vs. trying to get the patterns solely from reading. To use my time-worn example, how much reading alone would you need to fully grasp the difference between “Собака укусила девушку” and “Собаку укусила девушка”? The context may well tell you, of course – if you understand the context. But a preliminary review of the accusative case will help you make sense of it much more more quickly, IMO. Then, repeatedly seeing something that you recognize while reading will help you cement it more effectively than studying the tables.

Learn the alphabet, that’s a given. It’s simple and mostly phonetic. Start reading here. Evgueny’s lessons that he gave links to below are probably a good place to start – they combine beginning reading with the introduction of grammar. Learn something about one of the grammar aspects and watch for that in your reading. Then another, and so on. If you see something appearing repeatedly that you haven’t learned about, go read up on it. But don’t try to bite off more than you can chew.

Ask for help. There are some reponsive native speakers and advanced learners here who are happy to answer questions. Good luck!

4 Likes

Maybe try a different browser? I think I had to use Internet Explorer for the audio to work.

1 Like

Yes, the audio works on Internet Explorer. Thanks!

1 Like

Also, you’ll find that getting some of the last exercise questions can be a real headache. There is a solution pdf on the internet for those times:

1 Like

I started on two other platforms and then came to Lingq. One site seemed more geared to kids. The other has not really been adding new Russian courses. Is it possible to learn Russian just by using this site? I’d say yes, if you are willing to do the work. What i enjoy is the incorporation of reading, listening, writing and speaking. See the comment below by evugeny40. I have found his courses very helpful. Final advice when you are starting out try to some Russian every day. Even if it’s only ten minutes. It makes a difference.

2 Likes