Thinking of buying a tablet for Ling - does it work well on yours?

my daughter quit using her old Ipad2, that’s right Ipad 2! and Lingq still works fine on it. I keep it by my bed.

I have a budget android 8" tablet and a budget android 5" smartphone, both of them getting old - 6 and 3 year old respectively. The experience is very very similar on both, except for the screen real estate. The android app is slow to load, slow to switch between lessons, slow to select text, create a lingq (4-5sec) - let’s say allows a tap every 1.5-2 seconds. Once a lesson is loaded (20sec for me), switching between lesson pages is fast and viewing an existing lingq is not very fast - by the time it’s displayed I am reading next line or two.

That said, I have been looking to upgrading my Lingq reading device as the lag is not problematic for a lesson or two but accumulates enough to make anything more than reading (i.e. clicking on lingqs or creating some) a pain. I have tried to identify where the bottleneck is - I have disabled animations to ease on graphics. I have compared online mode and offline mode to see if lingq’s server is taking long to respond… I have tried the app on a friend’s flagship phone (fast cpu, lots of ram) but it still was not too crisp. So for now I am postponing my choices until Lingq 5.0

I have never tried the app on an iOS device. I would very much welcome a side-by-side comparison (on the same network) to see the difference. @Zoran maybe?

That said, my usage oscillates over the months: I am eager to consume some content on Lingq/some personal language learning motivation → I hop on the android app → first lessons I lingq a lot → 100 pages later I notice I am barely making lingqs anymore → switch to listening only or reading from eInk → ditch lingq app. And after a few months break it starts anew.

While I like the desktop (in browser) view, I simply try to stay away from desk time once I am done my desk job for the day…

In my opinion tablet view is not really that great of an idea, I find I read better then my page lines are relatively short, 4-6 words. And my hand grip is better on a portrait mode holding of a tablet vs landscape.

I use an iPad mini for lingQ and other apps for learning Russian. I personally feel that the iPad mini is a perfect size for learning on. It has a 7.9inch screen, but I am expecting apple to release a new model in Q1 of 2021 with a slightly larger screen and will be looking to upgrade when it is released :slight_smile: