There should be context in the cards

I’ve been requested to write the french translation of “I had”. I put the simple perfect and the app answered it was a mistake because it was meant to be the “imperfect”.
How can we translate without context in this case?

When typing an answer during the review, you need to type the translation you added for that saved word in the Vocabulary. It needs to be the exact answer, you can’t type the same word in a different form.

I know, what I’m saying is that the context is missing completely. As a user who has started his journey with LingQ, I think the method is brilliant, but the app and website have many issues of UX, compared to the standards we have nowadays.
I’m just trying to provide my valuable feedback.

As a new user in Lingq, I had just found that verb conjugation in a lesson, then selected the most popular translation.
Later, the card was presented to me, and I was completely puzzled by the lack of context. How do I know that “I had” had to be translated into the imperfect form? I simply could not.

You can edit the translation to include the tense & person.

Some of the popular translations already include this. But many do not, because many users are not overly concerned with optimizing cards for review, but instead optimize for reading and ease of creating LingQs that are good enough. Both approaches involve a tradeoff.

Perhaps, however, if the review cards displayed the verb tense and person tags, (which are automatically generated) it would do what you want it to do. However, we probably don’t want to display the infinitive tag, as that is what most people are trying to test for (that would make each verb review simply a conjugation exercise rather than a translation exercise).

Does that sound right @valebettins?

1 Like