The pronunciation of export?

The word “export” can be a verb and can also be a noun.

Are the pronunciations of export of verb and noun the same?

Thank you!!!

Like a lot of these words in English (see ‘record’ for the best-known example), stress on the first syllable if it’s a noun, stress on the second syllable if it’s a verb.

7 Likes

If you were to say, for example, “I work in the export business” the stress is on first syllable. On the other hand if you were to say “we export a lot of fruit” the stress is on the second syllable. However, the emphasis is minor.

2 Likes

In my experience some people pronounce export differently based on N or V (as Winter stated) and some people pronounce them the same (both N and V with stress on the first syllable).

2 Likes

Interesting…to make it simple just pronounce the same. Honestly I’ve never thought of pronouncing them differently, nor was I ever taught to base on noun or verb (born in the U.S.), so this is interesting to hear the replies. It’s possible I do pronounce them slightly differently, but no one’s going to care I don’t think.

1 Like

This is correct!

1 Like

There are indeed many such words in English, almost all of which are derived from Latin. In addition to ‘export’, ‘import’ and ‘record’, there are:

permit ; extract ; contract ; upset ; update ; convert ; construct ; confine ; combine ; contest ; content ; convict ; impact ; compact ; invite ; defect ; reject ; transport

5 Likes

Record seems a slightly different case…at least pronunciation wise. I’ve always pronounced the verb with a long-ish “e”. Not sure if that’s a regional thing

I’m from the midwest and also use the long “e” for the verb, but still stress the second syllable.