The Facebook poll system: an opportunity for who doesn't have facebook?

In all fairness, when you paid for lingq it didn’t included the privilege to vote in all polls under the services. In my opinion, a lot of people are far too demanding of this company considering they are still in the beginning stages of production.

Cheese: I totally agree with your point of view. And, I can’t understand why there are still people who doesn’t understand those, who doesn’t want to use Facebook.

Sirob, are you happy to use Yahoo? Then why not Facebook? Both companies datamine. I am just curious.

We at LingQ are concerned with improving the learner experience for the majority of users, and in increasing general awareness of LingQ, since we do not have the means to advertize and promote like Livemocha and Rosetta Stone etc.

We just added our 20th language in early February, Hebrew. There is as yet no content in our library, and from what I can see, no new members learning this language. There are very few members studying the most recently added languages. I believe this will be the case for any new language until we have a much larger member base.

Every little task that we at LingQ are asked to do, seems so simple. If you add all these simple tasks on top of the more important tasks that we have to do, for the majority of users, there is just not enough time in the day.

I am not a Facebook user other than for the purpose of promoting LingQ. There are, however, hundreds of millions of Facebook users in the world. You all know some. Ask your friends to vote for the languages you would like to see at LingQ.

“I am not a Facebook user other than for the purpose of promoting LingQ. There are, however, hundreds of millions of Facebook users in the world. You all know some. Ask your friends to vote for the languages you would like to see at LingQ.”

The same for me. I joined again last July to vote in the poll and I primarily use my profile for language-related posts. I don’t post any personal updates, photos and so on.
Although I disagreed with the policy change on beta languages, Steve’s latest post is very reasonable. I accepted the new rules and I’m playing accordingly.
I have been asking my contacts to vote and will continue doing so until all the languages I want to study are added. I managed to get 20-30 votes for Greek and Romanian in few days. 1000 votes are not impossible to reach…

I absolutely hate Facebook and find everything about it terrible. Still, I made an account just for voting on the languages at LingQ. :slight_smile:

Steve, I hope you don’t get rid of Hebrew. I’ve been hoping it would come and am the most active user right now. I wish I could get native speakers involved and recording things but people never have been interested in any project I’ve suggested. Sorry that I don’t have the means to help.

I wish someone would explain all this undigested Facebook hatred for me.

Personally, it has nothing to do with “hatred”, but rather a kind of information overdose. I already have a dozen communities and forums which I check daily, and at the moment I don’t need another one - especially not “just to vote” for new languages.

Dooo, it’s explained in many places. Searching + reading is a powerful combination.

Lmy…- I am interested in what people here say, and, unlike you I suppose, I am not assuming they will parrot it.

Jeff, I guess it is not a deal-breaker for you as it seems like it could be for others.

Personally I find Facebook a great aid to learning Japanese when I am not in the mood for long texts. Going through one line comments from people about pictures or status updates is a great change up. As for Facebook itself, I realise they data-mine, but so do any number of other widely used web services.

dooo: No I’am not happy at all. I have had my Yahoo account for 13 years now. Nevertheless I’m looking for another, more secure and less snoopy. I read about “Privat DE Mail”. I think I’ll try it. If you know about another secure mail service, please tell me.
In my opinion we should start paying more attention about our privacy and be less careless and naive in regarding with companies like Facebook, Yahoo and Google.

I don’t have facebook either.

Thanks, sirob, I have signed up for “Privat DE Mail”.

But I would like to know how they can offer this freely without selling our info. Seems like there is a missing link