Target Languages

I’d be interested to know which languages other folks out there have on their target radars?

My definite ‘hit list’ is: French, Russian, Norwegian, Ancient Greek and Farsi (and to improve my existing level in German and Italian.)

My ‘dream list’ would also include: Turkish, Arabic, Hebrew and Icelandic.

(Sadly I’ve come to realise that I will probably struggle to make very much progress with the ‘hit list’ - never mind about the ‘dream list’!)

I’m currently studying Modern Standard Arabic, Turkish and Hebrew.

I have already bought study material for Korean, Farsi, Swaheli, Thai, Dutch, Swedish, Hungarian, Polish, Greek.

I’m in no rush, though. Ganz nach dem Motto: Der Weg ist das Ziel. (The journey is the reward).

Ancient Greek sounds really interesting. Before that, however, I’d want to study some Latin. I never had Latin at school (went to a commercial type of high school).

1 Like

I want to improve in the languages of my ‘big five list’ first: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Arabic.

When my Arabic is advanced, I’ll learn Farsi. Problem is, I don’t have much time to dedicate to language learning for the moment…

My ‘maybe list’ includes: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, maybe (it’s a maybe maybe list) Turkish and another Asian language. These are languages I’d like to learn but I need the spark that will light my motivation. The little something that makes you want to learn the language desperately.

2 Likes

I´m studying Finnish and want to improve it to a C1 level this year. In my “target radar” is also Russian.
Besides that I have two “only for fun” languages: Dutch and German. They are really relaxing to explore, when I already have knowledge of Swedish and English. I use them as “language-spa” when the grammar of Finnish and Russian drives me crazy.

My ‘hit list’ has become my ‘dream list’ over the years: French and Spanish to a high level, followed by Italian, Russian and Swedish.

To turn the dream into a goal would require starting out in earnest on the journey…

A ‘maybe’ would be Portuguese (European) because of the lovely Portuguese speakers here.

I also have to work on maintaining English and German since I lead a fairly reclusive life and it is easy for me not to talk to people for weeks and weeks (no, I am not in solitary confinement :slight_smile: )

EDIT: I forgot Japanese! (very much wishful thinking)

2 Likes

In addition to my Russian, English, German, Polish, Italian and Esperanto, I would like to study French and Spanish, maybe Swedish, Dutch and Czech, probably Turkish and Latin.

1 Like

The languages I have a genuine motivation to be fluent in before I’m 30 are Mandarin Chinese, French & Arabic. (Arabic, by the way, is a particularly ‘bad’ language bug to catch - especially if you want to travel the Middle East - due to the endless dialects.) :o)

I’ll probably dabble in Danish, Sinhala, Gujarati and Farsi for fun if I have the time.

Ahh I always love hearing about what other languages people are currently studying/planning to study but it makes focusing on one target language extra difficult.

If I try to learn a language, I would only consider it a success if I reach something like a good C1 level, so my list is much shorter. I am actively persuing German and Russian at the moment, and I plan to do Chinese in the future.

Currently I am not even close to any of my goals in any of these. I am pretty comfortable with German. In Russian, I am just getting started and still trying to reach the stage where I would call myself a ‘beginner’. I would call my current stage ‘pre-useless idiot’ since I am not even good enough to consider myself a useless idiot yet. My Chinese is better than my Russian, but I am still at the ‘pre-useless idiot’ stage.

2 Likes

I have greatly prolonged my undergraduate career due to a change of studies. At the end of the two or three more years that it will take to finish this degree, I just want to have advanced Spanish and French. My French is already at a good level, but definitely far from excellent.

Afterwards, my list will get more interesting. I’m interested in Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese, German, Indonesian, Arabic, Hebrew, and Japanese.

1 Like

I’ll try to climb myself up to the C1 level for/in English and Hungarian . I also want to reach that level in Japanese some day.
Afterwards I’ll try to start learning Arabic ,a language which my father supposed to have teached me but things turned different unfortunately .

I also want to restart learning German considering that it is sehr cool :slight_smile: and I have a great respect for Germans .

Turkish is another language that I want to learn in the future considering that for the past 5 years I’ve been attending the Friday sermon at a Turkish mosque and I think it sound pretty interesting .

1 Like

ad MADARA: You seem to have both a talent and a lot of passion for language learning. I’m pretty sure you’ll have no problems studying German considering that you are already tackling a language as complex as Hungarian.

As for Arabic, will you study MSA and/or any of the local dialects (such as Egyptian, Syrian etc.)?

Is your father a native speaker of Arabic? If he is, you’ll have at least somebody around to practise on a daily basis which is a major advantage.

ad Colin:
(…) If I try to learn a language, I would only consider it a success if I reach something like a good C1 level, so my list is much shorter. (…)

I don’t really make much sense of the levels according to the European Common Framework. I’ve met people who supposedly passed the C1 exam in German and they were definitely not as advanced as you seem to be based on what you have posted here in German.

I want to be able to understand, read, write and speak a language. And I want to be able to do this with authentic material, such as newspapers, movies, radio programmes etc. I don’t mind resorting to a dictionary while reading a book for example or having to ask for explanations if I don’t understand a word. That’s just part of the deal.

I don’t know what level that would be, but that’s what I am aiming for. I had a closer look at the Teach Yourself German book. I think it is classified as being on an A2 or B1 level. If you work through that book and if you actually understand the grammatical structures presented in this book so that you would be able to both recognize and reproduce them, then I think this is all you need. The rest is just a matter of practice and that takes time.

As for the number of languages on my list, well I obviously won’t get bored once I’m retired.

ad David: (…) Afterwards, my list will get more interesting. I’m interested in Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese, German, Indonesian, Arabic, Hebrew, and Japanese. (…)

Glad to see German is still on your list. I’ll spice it up with some cool Austrian words once you are ready for it :wink:

@Robert
“Is your father a native speaker of Arabic? If he is, you’ll have at least somebody around to practise on a daily basis which is a major advantage.”

Well, a situation like this sounds good in theory, but it’s really hard to pull off. Despite my mother’s native language being French, we don’t talk in French, and I don’t think it’s possible to do so. After a pretty close relationship over the last 21 years entirely in English, it is awfully weird to talk to one another in French. We’ll use short sentences when we’re out of the house and we want to hide what we’re saying from people, but otherwise I don’t think I could ever practice French with her.

It is true that the cultural side helps enormously. The French personality has always been kind of familiar to me, and I have gotten chances to spend time in Francophone environments because of family and family friends.

I still have no connection to German, unfortunately. It seems like something that is disconnected from my current day to day life. I really need to make a trip over to that part of the world to capture the “resonance” of German, which is not yet something I’ve ever experienced.

@ RobertIII

Don’t take the C1 thing too seriously. When I wrote good C1, I really just meant some very high, but still achievable level. However, I only think this is achievable for me for a small number of languages and I don’t expect to achieve it in a small amount of time. The idea of being at an A1 in ten languages doesn’t turn me on.

@David: “…Despite my mother’s native language being French, we don’t talk in French, and I don’t think it’s possible to do so. After a pretty close relationship over the last 21 years entirely in English, it is awfully weird to talk to one another in French…”

I can imagine this is very true. But I guess it would have been very different if she had talked to you as a young child in French?

Still, if I were in your shoes I would beg my mother on bended knees to use French with me - no matter how weird it would be!

I can relate to what David says. My father is Algerian but has never taught me his dialect and it would be weird if he did so now. What’s ironic is that my understanding of MSA is much better than that of the Algerian dialect (thankfully there are a lot of French words in North African Arabic).

I’m slowly starting German, then it’ll be French. These two languages have been on my to-do list forever, so I want to get them out of the way before I do anything else. The next may be Norwegian or Finnish.

@Easy Rider: me too, I’d refuse to speak with her in English.

1 Like

Currently Ancient Greek, Latin and Norwegian are on my study list. L-R (if that is what it is called) + LingQ is the method I use for Norwegian. So far, so good. So many cognates between Norwegian and English but pronounced so differently almost make Norwegian seem like a remote dialect of English (or vice versa). Norwegian is the rare tonal European language. (I wonder sometimes whether the Cockney dialect could be considered tonal). Oh, and the novel I started with is Knut Hamsun’s “Hunger,” “Sult” in Norwegian. Hamsun won the Nobel Prize for “Hunger” in 1920. I’m a little past one half, and so far I have to say that the novel is a masterpiece and well worth the Nobel.
Using interlinear translations form the basis of my Ancient Greek and Latin work. In each case I use LingQ to read texts and lingq new vocabulary. Lest anyone think using interlinear translations is “cheating,” let me say au contraire, pilgrim. The guidelines I use require me to learn the L2 backwards and forwards and the L1 translation, too. In other words, if I see the Latin word “aper,” I should recognize it as meanint “hog.” And if I see the word “hog,” I should be able to rattle off “aper” right away.
Things are going comparatively swimmingly in Latin. Ancient Greek is a bear. The word λοιδορησαμένης (“having upbraided”) does not trip off the tongue or stick in the mind quite so well as “praedator” or “vulpes.”
To help things along with ways to play with or engage the language, I use LingQ vocabulary exercises (MultiChoice and Dictate especially, though not Dictate with Ancient Greek) and various exercises and “games” from the external apps Quizlet, Cram and StudyStack (all free and rivals for the most part of Anki). Oh, and I almost forgot Memrise and Mango (for Ancient Greek).

On the horizon are Danish, Swedish, Portuguese, a return to Old Norse and Old English, and perhaps Icelandic (in and as yet undetermined order). However. At some point one has to stop learning languages and start using them. My reading lists grow longer and longer because time goes to learning. Now that L-R has proven comfortable and workable, that may be a way to kill two birds, and could surely work okay with “Njal’s Saga” and “Beowulf.”

Edit to add Memrise and Mango.

Norwegian is tonal? I had no idea. Interesting. Will be interesting to delve into it.

Don, the Nobel is a lifetime achievement award, you don’t get it for just one book. :wink:

Tell us more about your experiences with L-R. I spent far too long last night reading about it and looking for materials to do it in Italian. I’m planning on doing it with three novels for which I’ve found translations and free audio: Cuore, the Diary of Gian Barrasca, and Anna Karenina. The latter because it’s long, I know the story, and I love it.

For Ancient Greek, I’m thinking about recording myself reading the English and trying to read along with Anabasis. I know you don’t like it, but you’re wrong, you should give it another shot. :wink: