Switch in honorifics. Possible reasons?

Hello there.

I am currently mainly learning by using korean podcasts and I have noticed, that although most of the sentences are formed using the 요-form (polite informal), the speakers tend to throw in a sentence using the 이다-form (polite formal) from time to time.

Is there any particular reason why native speakers usually do this? I googled but all I found was “you can use both”, which isn’t particularly helpful. My assumptions would be that it is either for hilighting important information or to mark when a topic or subtopic has been finished and the speaker wants to move to something else. I haven’t looked at this in detail, though, as I thought it might be easier to ask. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Hi, this might be a very late reply but still - let me write some very Korean answers down for you! As a Korean I just think 니다 sounds more like an old person and would be more used when you are talking to a person who is older or in a higher position than you. -니다 is usually used more in formal texts, such thesis, law-related texts, economy related books, etc. whereas you cannot see -요 in those strict boring texts. So in convo, I would mostly say -요 to a unnie or a oppa just a year older than me, or a person who’s younger than me but not close to me. But the usuage or -니다 would maybe increase 5% more if I’m speaking to a professor who’s been studying 40 years more than me in my major or sth like that. When texting, I’d try to mix -니다 and -요 when I’m trying to write something long to a boss or a person older than me to not sound unprofessional(who always says -요) yet not to strict(-니다). I hope this helps! Thanks

4 Likes

Thanks, especially your example at the end is very interesting.

Are there any situations where you might mix casual with formal speach?
What I could imagine are situations where you would jokingly insert -니다 expressions. How about fixed expressions, e.g. 감사합니다 in (non-joking) context where you usually speak casual? Could those express sincerity?

1 Like

@KoreanTutor_Jaylin Better late then never. :slight_smile:

Do you do this randomly or is there any “method” behind it. Like using -니다 at the end of a paragraph or similar?

It does, so thanks a lot.

1 Like