Someone please fix "Paging moves to known"

I think I get what you mean, because you would be setting words to known early in a lesson that would then appear later unhighlighted, which would be good. It would only help them early on since later they would already have set most of their known words to known using the automatic set-blue-to-known function at the end of the lesson.

Why would somebody want to keep so many words blue when doing extensive reading? Surely you would want as many words as possible to not be highlighted when trying to read through lots of material.

@ericb100 There are a few benefits of pressing the ‘finish lesson’ button, as on the page, it has the following:

1. you can easily adjust the stats, because autotracking has for ages had many bugs and errors with it (maybe you’ve seen all the bug reports on the forum?), so you end up readjusting almost every single lesson. Even bugs aside, with the current setup (unless it was changed again idk) it does not record that you reread the same text again, so you have to change that 0.9x to 2.0x read.

2. a button to remove the audio from the playlist for lessons I do not want to listen to again later on

3. a button to go to the next lesson

It’s true all these can be done other ways, but it is very convenient they are all in the same place, on one page. Otherwise it would involve many clicks (per lesson).

1 Like

@ColinJohnstonv You don’t want to “keep so many words blue.” You just want to read with miminal interruptions. And to do that, you usually choose texts with very few unknown words. So it’s usually only the occasional blue word. The general recommendation from the linguistics studies usually is no more than 1 in 50 words be unknown.

@jahufford Exactly! I really don’t know how to deal with words, which are, in the context they are introduced, names, but they are also words. For instance, the word Jade is both a name of a person and the jewel/colour. If you encounter this word as a person’s name, how do you deal with it? Do you lingQ it or just mark it as ‘rubbish’ because it’s a name? If you bin it, then you might encounter it next time as the definition jewel but it isn’t blue anymore.

1 Like

@Mariotkd - I can’t comment on what LingQ was like ten years ago, but I am aware that staff don’t always see forum posts directed to them. So even this comment may not have been read.

For instance, @zoran’s comment on this thread was a copy-paste of previous posts (see the hyperlinks in my earlier post) and even after my above post debating the merits of it, he still used the exact same post, copy-pasted, in another thread several days later.

So maybe he didn’t even read the above post anyways? I don’t know. If he did, well… how do I say it… it was probably not the most ‘customer-service-friendly’ thing to do.

1 Like

Here is another example why ‘complete lesson moves to known’ is a very bad idea.

I am learning Italian and, as you can see in the screenshot, in the article, they quoted an English tweet. Now I have to manually go to every blue word and bin them. On this page there are 24 blue words, which I need to bin. Because, if I don’t, then these words will be marked as known, when I click ‘complete lesson’.

2 Likes

I just accidentally did this for the first time on a very short lesson because I was testings something out with the flagging words feature (without refreshing the page) that I’ve been having a problem with in another topic :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face: :melting_face:

No warning messages this time. I’d love to get the warning every time — similar to the warning you get that liking your private lessons makes those lessons public.

Edit: I just double-checked there was no checkmark at the end of the lesson before paging words to known, so how are people supposed to know the lesson is finished now? (A green hue?) @zoran / @LingQ Team:

Easier to tell on Chrome with the white space in the lesson:

But not on Firefox:

Is this a bug?

To be fair, I don’t think Lingq is an extensive reading tool. It’s an intensive reading tool. It’s primary purpose is that you look up every single word and note their dictionary definition. I mean, the website is literally called “mark things yellow” (i.e. Lingq)

Your (and many others’) frustrations arise from the fact that you want the tool to do something different from it’s intended purpose and finding it lacking for that purpose. And I do understand your point of view, but also the point of view of the developers of wanting to stick to their vision and purpose of their product.

I would look elsewhere for extended reading tools. If you have the budget, investing in a kindle could be a good and more comfortable option more suited for extensive reading.

2 Likes

I agree. The primary purpose of LingQ is help Steve learn languages. :wink:

4 Likes

My frustration is that “Paging moves to known” is the default setting. As an intermediate-level language learner, it’s highly unlikely that I know all of the words on a page. If I turn the page with blue words, I “learn” many words that I don’t know. I’ve disabled this in Settings but sometimes it returns as the default setting (that I have to disable again).

1 Like

:rofl:
Yes, that is probably also true

1 Like

Totally agree there.

It’s not a coincidence that Steve uses iOS and that the iOS app offers the best experience overall.

1 Like

Actually I’m not fond of that checkmark at the end. If you’re not careful, you can easily click it by mistake, intending to move to the nonexistent next page. Maybe on the last page of a lesson where the “next page” button usually is, if you accidentally click the checkmark, it just throws multicolor confetti or something, and then at the bottom of the page where it now says “End of Lesson” there could instead be a button saying, “Mark lesson completed, mark all blue words as known, and remove lesson from ‘Continue Studying’ ?”.
And below that a note: “To close this lesson without making these changes, use the back-arrow in your app or browser.”

Just an idea.

5 Likes

Yes! @zoran and the @LingQ Team, great Idea!:

1 Like

For me it’s almost always the case that the reason I marked a lesson as finished is that I accidentally clicked the check mark, thinking I was advancing to the next page.

Today when I clicked the check mark with words still blue (that Id accidentally missed) I got a pop up asking me what I wanted to do with options - looked a very old fashioned pop up and not styled like the site, but did the job. YAY!

1 Like

Was this on Android or iOS or Windows or…?

That’s in MasterLingQ! I’m working on a script that will mark words new again for a particular lesson if they were marked as known without making a LINGQ

5 Likes

ah!!! Ive installed that so that will be why. hahaha. I thought Linq had listened!!

1 Like