Some Explain the new Popup Dictionary

See title. Because I don’t get it. The concept, the reason, etc. It also doesn’t seem to work as I expect it.

Edit: I’ll elaborate. I get it. you can expand it now.

But why make it a window you can’t move to another screen? Why isn’t it a true popup?
Why hide the other user hints here?
I actually expected it to update when I clicked on other words

I’ll elaborate on the last part. I clicked a yellow lingq, selected “User Hints”, user hints show up in the box. I click another Yellow LingQ… I would have expected the window to update to this lingqs other user hints

1 Like

@spatterson, xuedaolao - Thanks for your feedback on this. We try to stay away from actual new window popups, as we’ve had issues in the past with members who have popup blockers enabled and are unable to see the dictionaries. Some dictionaries (ones that don’t load within a frame) still open in popups.

Between having the dictionary stay open for all LingQs until you close it and having it automatically disappear when you move to another word, we found the latter to be more logical and more useful in the long run, as it ended up being quite annoying to have to close the dictionary window or move it out of the way when moving to another LingQ or new word.

Regarding user hints, we found that many members did not use the User Hints tab and wanted to clean up the interface more.

As we collect more feedback we’ll continue making tweaks and refinements around the new sections of the site.

I often like to add multiple definitions of words, and I’m finding that the new dictionary window makes this a lot more work than it used to be. Here are the main issues I’m having (in the order they occur):

1. the dictionary window disappears after entering one definition, and must be reopened.
    2)to reopen it I have to use the new ‘Check Dictionaries & Resources’ button and then select the dictionary I want. It was much quicker before, when there were separate buttons displayed for each dictionary: instead of just clicking on the dictionary I want, I now have to click the Resources button, scroll to the dictionary I want, and then finally click on the dictionary. That’s three times as many steps as before.
  2. When I’ve selected the dictionary from the menu it pops up, but it is positioned too high on the screen, completely covering where I want to add my definition- in order to add a second definition I have to drag the window lower (it would be better if somehow the window could remember where we like it to pop up. Personally I would position it halfway down the right side of the screen instead of three quarters up…in other words I like it where it used to be )

I don’t see why we now need the dictionary window to pop up all fancy, I think it was fine the old way (kinda popping up but locked into the same place, not covering anything, and never disappearing when you’re still using it.

On the plus side I do like the swell new background, although I question the geography.

I am gonna wait until they finish getting it working properly before giving the new dictionary stuff a real try and deciding if I think it was better or worse. My first impression, however, is that an efficient, fast, easy-to-use system has been replaced a slower, less efficient, awkward fancy system. At the moment, I plan to make the floating dictionary bubble as small as possible and stick it in the bottom right of the screen since I use dict.cc, which pops up in a new window anyway.

@spatterson - I suggest doing what I just said.

@lapoubelle - Thanks for the insight into how you use the site. We’ll see what we can do to better accommodate learners who add multiple definitions. The main idea with the new dictionary as a popup is that it allows us to display more information on the yellow pane, including the notes, examples and any questions regarding that specific word. Previously only one of these could be viewed at a time.

Everyone uses the site a bit differently, so updates to the interface mean that changes in usage are sometimes required. Over the coming days and weeks we’ll continue to make minor refinements and tweaks based on user feedback and our own experience, so stay tuned!

Sounds great, I always appreciate the quick responses to our (or at least my) petty grievances.

I was just thinking that it might be nice (and solve everything) to have an option (maybe in the same place where the auto-scroll toggle is) to turn off Lingq automatically moving on to the next unknown word in a lesson once we’ve entered a single definition of the word we’re currently working on. (auto…jump?) When I start a lesson I don’t usually start by blindly lingqing words one after the other without reading the lesson a bit, I prefer to define them as I’m reading, a few here and there, and sometimes spend a little time entering a few different definitions before wanting to get to the next word. (Spanish for example has many conjugated verb forms that are also nouns and adjectives depending on the context, or they have slang meanings that are completely different)

The way Lingq is set up right now (and even before the recent changes), just clicking on one of the placeholder user hints automatically makes Lingq jump to the next word. To this I say where’s the fire, what’s the rush? Let me linger on a word as long as I want! :slight_smile:

As well, if possible, to have again those super handy buttons that link to our favorite dictionaries would be a welcome return.

1 Like

@lapoubelle - Thanks for the suggestions! We’ll see what we can do here :slight_smile:

I agree with lapoubelle. I read the text and create LingQs for the new words carefully. No need to hurry. I find the list of dictionaries annoying. I always have to search where my favourite dictionary is. In the older version the dictionary I’ve used before was always in the first place, which was nice.

By the way, I see that you’ve added a note’s field to the LingQs. But it doesn’t appear on the flashcards.

“To this I say where’s the fire, what’s the rush?”

I just want to mention that for a lot of users, speed is everything. About half the time I am using the reading interface, I am preparing chapters of books to read later on the iPad. I might make several hundred LingQs per chapter and prepare several chapters before getting to read them.