So what does Intermediate 2 really mean?

I’m about to hit I2 in French. I do feel like I’m reading at a solid intermediate level, but I’ve only begun to converse, so I’m lagging there.

I notice that I can get the gist of most of what I read, provided it is not too technical nor idiomatic. I can guess many words from context. I now have to pay attention to secondary meanings, while I didn’t before.

I do feel I’m close to an escape velocity where I can just keep reading and keep getting better at reading. I am careful to work on the listening and pronouncing pieces. I’ve started on tutoring sessions.

I realize I2 is a somewhat arbitrary milestone.

Any other thoughts?

1 Like

I think of it kind of like a birthday. You get to say you’re a year older now, but in reality, you’re just a day older than you were yesterday.

8 Likes

Dang! Never thought about it that way. :joy:

It means you told LingQ you know the requisite words for the Intermediate 2 threshold. You tell us, what does it mean? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought I did… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, judging by commenters here, Intermediate 2 means nothing beyond I did a bunch of LingQing and pushed my known words over X for my target language.

Good to know.

I guess.

They have made some amendements over known words mark to determine a specific level. I do not know how correct they are now with their numbers. Courses aimed at Intermediate 2 on LingQ used to be B1 on CEFR.

Advanced 1 might be your B2 level on the CEFR.

I have never used word known count as a benchmark for my reading. I use total words read instead. For me, 3 million words read I am an average reader in German. 6 million words read good reader. I will evaluate my level around 10 million words read however that is my next goal to achieve. I bet that I will be very good reader by then.

I am currently at 7.4 million words read.

2 Likes

It just means you marked 13,200 words as Known. Beyond that it means whatever you want it to mean. It doesn’t equate to any other metric. The absolute number isn’t all that meaningful to me, but it does measure relative progress to me. I don’t overthink ANY metrics. They don’t really mean anything to anyone unless you are required to meet arbitrary metrics for academic or workplace requirements.

For my personal experiences mapping Advanced 1 to CEFR B2 sounds about right. That’s where I am.

2 Likes

A reason that LingQ should make words read an always-available statistic. It’s too hidden.

Unfortunately there are way too many variables to make any real generalizations about LingQ levels. If we had general guidelines for things like names, loan words, and specifically what it means for mark a word as known (recognition in context, active recall, etc.), it could be possible, but nowhere on the LingQ forums do we have enough data at this time.

Treat it all as relative to yourself, a somewhat arbitrary progression :slight_smile:. Other things you can consider is what your percentage of known words, to LingQs to learned LingQs is. As you advance the amount of times you should see new words that you already “know” should start to rocket up.

1 Like

i would say take italki lessons or try to meet people to talk. And use anki from your native language to your target language, youll be able to talk fine in no time

I regret to be annoying, but unless I ask specifically, I am never seeking advice.