Size of the hint field

When creating lingqs, I often have problems with the size of the hint field, which seems too short for me. Some dictionaries offer more than one definition, and I would like to record all of them, but it is impossible, because the hint is always shrunk to a very very short size. Sometimes, even an unique definition can’t be put there. Come on, guys, lets enlarge the hint size!

I don’t know if I would write more in the hint - for me would be more helpful if I could see the tag in the flashcard.
The difficulty is for me very often that I cannot recognize if the word is a verb, noun or others.

When I could edit a saved word, I would do this, but if not, could the tags help.

Ana, we are redesigning the LingQ widget right now. It is difficult to accommodate everyone’s needs in the widget.

We will look at making certain fields larger, including the Hint space. I am interested to hear from others on this.

Irene, the dictionary will usually tell you whether a words is a noun or a verb. You just need to copy this into your Hint space if you want to keep this information.

The Tag is visible in the LingQ, if you open it up. The Flash Card is more to test your memory, or to jog your memory. We have no plans to put the Tag there, but we would like to hear the opinions of others.

Now is the time to give us your wishes. We have to come up with a design that works for most people. Thanks for your input.

Steve - to see that in Hint would not be a good solution because I would like see that without opening the Hint.
If I had the vocabulary box near the text on the workdesk I would save more and clearer words and phrases.
What is better?
Highlighted single words - not very clear - or to work with two open Lingq’s and having no highlighted words.

The lingQ widget is a good but no … we have a special word in Germany “Eier-legende-Woll-Milch-Sau” with other words no tool that all wishes can solve :slight_smile:

Steve,
I understand not any request will be satisfied, I’m just giving you suggestions that I believe are useful. If you will be able (or willing) to implement them is up to you, ok?
In this particular case, I believe the hint field is ok for the beginners, since most words have a direct translation to a word in their native language. But when you go to an advanced learner, some terms that need more explanation than a simple translation become more and more common. I’m actually facing problems with this field quite frequently, maybe in one third of my lingqs I need to struggle with the hint field size. Because of this, I strongly believe that although simple, this would be an important improvement for the advanced learners.

I think there are some words who have a lot of meanings, but I also believe it’s too difficult to remember them as easily if we write all of them… I think it is preferable to add one, two or three at a time… When i add more than that, I get lost…

I almost always change the phrase which is put in the phrase-field automatically. I wonder if it’s possible to have an option whether or not I would like to have it filled in automatically or left free. In this way I would not have to do the extra work selecting and deleting the whole phrase.

And I think that being able to select tags (maybe the most used ones) in the widget itself would help speeding up the work with it also.
In general I think that the widget should be optimized for “almost no keyboard necessary”, for the obvious reason that typing really slows you down.

radoslaw, I think if you would like ask five members, each of them had another idea and when we had not the automatically the desire for it would be important.
The great benefit for me to have it from the content I work with is, that I remember better for the using.
Often I have to change the sentence to bring it in a shorter and better understandable form.
To look for another example in the LingQ widge is more time-consuming and when I create an own exemple, I don’t know if the using is correct.
The click on a selection button would not be more comfortable (for me!).

The other point, to be able to select tags (I already have created) is a realy good idea and that I want to have too.

Radek, Irene

We may eventually bring in some customization for the widget but we first have to improve the major functionality of the widget. We will, hopefully in a month or so, have the ability to choose from your tag list.

I think I didn’t explain clear enough with “change the phrase”. Of course, I keep the phrase from the content I’m working on, but just like you Irene I change it the way I like it to be.

For me the work WITH the sentence is the first learning.
I have some words automatically with the LingQ widget and now I want to bring these in a shorter sentence perhaps for a faster remembering.
In addition I have English-English dictionaries (Collins/Cobuild and an older inherited recently) there I like to look for other examples. Eventually I choose only those when I feel it is more familiar and better to recall.
Only, often I would like bring more examples for a word. For that I wanted to have the Vocabulary box on the Workdesk too. Perhaps we will have this in the future.