Sentences not editable for some lessons

For example: Login - LingQ

When I edit a sentence and try to save it, it spins forever and doesn’t save. If I reload the lesson, it gives this message: “Lesson timestamps being generated. Thanks for your patience.” I feel these two things are related.

Anyway, Japanese is very hard to process on Lingq without being able to adjust word boundaries, so this issue is blocking.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. We will investigate the issue.

1 Like

Works again now. At least for the one lesson I linked in the original post.

2 Likes

This might be a place where I can learn about the text editing I have been encountering the problem as highlighted in the captured image.

As can be seen, the .srt files are segmented into brief sections and when I want to highlight a useful phrase for studying, the word elision or something else in the program render this impossible since the sentence is unintelligible. What is the procedure for editing the input texts to make them useful for studying?

1 Like
  1. Click on the first word of your phrase, hold SHIFT, click on the last word.
    or
  2. Load the .srt into Word or any other txt-editor. Edit the text. You may be able to perform a search/replace action to remove line breaks etc. Save the file and reimport it.
1 Like

what do you mean by “reimport it”? Are you serious that editing within the program requires an additional word processing program and these many steps?

1 Like

Why shouldn’t I be serious? SRT-files contain time stamps, which are usually placed between the individual text parts. The SRT text is therefore fragmented in itself. LingQ splits the text at these time stamps during import. If you don’t want this, you have to remove the time stamps and anything else you don’t want. This can all be done within LingQ if you have created the lesson yourself. However, it is quicker and easier to use external editors, which are naturally more specialized.
It only takes minutes to generate content for hours in this way.
Or you can use Rooster’s tools. This is also very convenient.

1 Like

But I just realized that 1. does not work. Marking phrases across pragraph boundaries does not work. So you have to edit the SRT file.

1 Like

Back to my initial question: what do you mean by reimport?

1 Like

I don’t know what you import and how. In general, you can edit self-imported lessons as follows:
Open the lesson in your browser, “Edit Lesson”, bottom left “Regenerate Lesson”. Now you can edit or even delet the text on the right side an replace it with one edited with the external editor.
If you have a seperate mp3 you can then generate new timestamps. Then you have a “re-import”.
Better: take a seperate mp3, download the srt, edit, then create a new lesson with these two files.

1 Like