Reader Automatically Marking Words Known With No Prompts nor Finishing Lesson?

While using the web viewer I paged through one course and out of nowhere I get a popup that I’ve collected over 1200 coins today. I go back and the reader has marked everything known. I checked my reader settings and it is set NOT have paging moves to known nor auto lingq creation. I also did not finish a lesson. What is going on? I know if you do fresh install and forget to change these settings back you can have this issue but nothing like that occurred. My first thought was somehow the settings got unchecked but nope, all set correctly (shown in screenshot). I even checked all my devices in case somehow they were not set and bled over but nope, correctly set across the board. What is going on and is there anyway to undo all this? I don’t even know what it marked off since it never even popped up to confirm if I knew the words or not plus I had just paged though that course to see if it had picked up extra pages at the end so I truly have no idea what was not done but 1200+ coins means it was a hefty chunk. Please advise, I am not daring to touch the web reader again without some resolution.

1 Like

Are you sure you haven’t completed a lesson? Words should be marked as known only when you complete a lesson.

1 Like

@zoran

People are not going to stop complaining about this and rightly so. It’s a terrible design choice yet easily fixed.

When the user clicks the check mark at the end of the lesson, how about a confirnmation box warning the user LingQ is about to move all blue words to known?

See:

## Use Red Warning Signals in a Confirmation

When users press a button with a destructive action, don’t execute it immediately. There’s a chance they may have pressed the button by mistake. What you should do instead is prompt users to confirm the action with a confirmation screen.

Do not make the destructive action button a normal color like blue. Instead, use a red button to warn users they’re about to commit a dangerous act. Red is a strong visual cue for warnings because it captures attention easily.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I would guess most LingQ users are mainly interested in the ability to track progress in some reasonably reliable way. This “feature” eliminates that trust in the system. It needs to be fixed.

1 Like

I remember seeing a box telling me this when I clicked the check mark a couple of times by accident.

Not sure why some users aren’t seeing it.

P. S. This was on the Chrome Browser. I became more careful about accidently hitting the checkmark after that, so I’m not sure if it shows up for any other devices as a warning.

1 Like

I finally figured out what occurred after, a little after the fact now.

The web reader has a check mark where the “Next Page” arrow is when on the last page of lesson. If you are quickly paging through something for whatever reason and happen to click what you think is “Next Page” and happen to be at the last page, the oops … no confirmation or anything given and no settings like no auto-creation avoid issue of any unknown words being marked known.

This is just poor design, I normally use mobile version and you can page through all you want and the finish lesson button is only at the bottom of the last page. You can’t accidentally finish a lesson on there just because you hit next page accidentally on what is the last page.

Considering some PDF imports and other items need too much editing to be done efficiently on the mobile version, this really needs to be fixed on the web version.

Either make an option that you have to confirm the lesson completion or at least change location of button so “Next Page” and “Finish Lesson” are not is same location.

2 Likes

It’s wrong. Please fix it.

1 Like

@bbbblinq: It baffles me that this is a hill LingQ is committed to die on. Even though LingQ is on the wrong side of established UI standards.

Users clamor for a fix, even LingQ could easily fix it, but by some bizarre stubborn principle LingQ absolutely refuses to throw a bone to its paying customers.