Questions about how reading and listening numbers are calculated

I recently watched a video that accompanies a Russian lesson from “Russian from Russia.” However, it does not appear that watching the video – which includes interesting visual content – counted as either “Reading” or “Listening.” Only when I just read and/or listened to the lesson without the video did my “Reading” and “Listening” numbers change. Is this supposed to happen? If so, this is not helpful since the visuals in the video are extremely helpful and instructive and watching the video should count in the numbers.

Also, can someone please explain when “Reading” and “Listening” numbers respectively change? I would think that if I just read through a lesson without listening, then this would add to my “Reading” and if I listened to a lesson (whether or not I read simultaneously), this would count as “Listening.” However, I have listened to a lesson more than once with no indication that it is included in the “Listening” number so I am mystified.

Also, regarding a “Challenge,” I have just signed up for a one month one but it already indicates a number of words for me before I did anything “new.” Where does this number come from? How does the challenge in fact work? Is it only based on number of lingQs made or words in fact learned? Info greatly appreciated.

Hi Tracey,
Only a lesson audio is counted into listening time statistics, not the video.
As soon as you complete a lesson, reading/listening time increase automatically. You can also manually adjust reading/listening time stats for each lesson by using + - options under the menu on the top left.

Monthly LingQing challenge counts only number of LingQs you create while your challenge is active. As challenge info page says: “Create as many LingQs as you can to earn the three different stage badges for the Monthly LingQing Challenge. Earn the bronze badge for 250 LingQs, Silver for 500 and Gold for 1000.”

Thank you for your clarification about the video not being included in the listening statistics. However, I would recommend LingQ changing the exclusion of video since it discourages students from using the extremely valuable visual that is accompanied by audio. As many have noted – and I myself have experienced – videos in one’s target language (especially those that have same language subtitles) are perhaps the most effective means of language learning, second only to in-person immersion precisely because of the multiple sensory associations that accompany and reinforce learning. To exclude them in Listening statistics seems to me misguided.

Your explanation about how Challenge numbers are calculated still do not explain why on January 1 when I signed up, I started with some lingqs before I had in fact done anything that day: reviewed old ones or created new ones. So my question is, in what what time zone did the Challenge start? Is it possible that the Challenge recorded the lingqs I had made when it was December 31in my time zone but it was January 1 in the time zone of LingQ? Is there another possible explanation?

Yesterday while the number of my lingQs increased as I made them throughout the day in my own statistics as is the norm, that number was not updated on the challenge statistics until close to the end of the day. Is there a reason for the lag?

Thanks in advance for feedback.