Question about uploading content

I have a question about uploading content and earning points for it. If I find content on the internet that has a Creative Commons/Attribution/Non-Commercial/No-Derivs 3.0 stamp on it am I able to upload that content to the English library and earn points for it? Most of the content is already recorded and includes a transcript. It may involve me breaking it down into chunks - but essentially I would just be bringing it over to the Linq library. Would this constitute sharing a lesson and entitle me to earn points for use in my own learning?

Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

@SMO203 - It sounds fine to me. As long as you identify the provider properly you can load it up and share it. The content is available for free on the site.

No, Stephen. It is a non-commercial licence and LingQ is commercial. But you can ask the content provider if they give you permission. Please explain that LingQ offers all content for free and only additional services are not free.

I think it’s allowed.
LingQ doesn’t let you pay for the CONTENT (it can be accessed even for free with a free account).
LingQ let you only pay for the database and website costs and the additional service like writing/speaking, not for accessing content.

Read the text of the licence here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
On the bottom is a link to the full license.

From this licence:
"Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
No Derivative Works — You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work. "

Breaking into chunks is a problem, too. → transform is not allowed.

With a non-Commercial license it doesn’t matter if LingQ offers the content for free. Important is that LingQ is a commercial website.

Point 4b of the full licence text:
"You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. The exchange of the Work for other copyrighted works by means of digital file-sharing or otherwise shall not be considered to be intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation, provided there is no payment of any monetary compensation in connection with the exchange of copyrighted works. "

Another problem: You’ll get a monetary compensation.

You should ask the provider. That is safer.

Read more about the problem of “NC”:
http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Vera, what you said is very true - I’ll need to get some explicit permission from the provider before I use their material. Because although they do state all over their site that they want you to reprint/repost their materials - they do keep refering back to the CC license. I have a message into them - so let’s see what they say. I’ll keep everyone posted!

I’m sure if you ask kindly and explain in short words what LingQ is it will work. Explain that you add a link to their website!