Problem importing .csv vocabulary file

I am trying to import a Korean vocabulary using a .csv file but get the following message:

Incorrect file format: missed “term” or “phrase” column.

In an effort to clarify the problem I resorted to trying to import a single line .csv file created in Google Sheets and saved using “File>Download>Comma-separated values (.csv)”

The resulting .csv file contains only the following line.

한국, 한국 사람이에요, tag1, tag2, en, meaning1, en, meaning2

The error still persists.

A couple of further comments:

1. When opened in a text reader this file is found to be in UTF-8 format.
  2. I have tried a few various combinations like removing spaces after commas, removing elements like “tag1” whilst leaving the commas. This does not resolve the issue.

Any help/advice appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

Can you please send your file to support@lingq.com? I’ll take a look. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks Zoran, but I believe I have resolved the issue.

The problem was omitting the column headings.

I discovered this by exporting my LingQs in .csv format and using the resulting file as a template (sorry that I only thought to do this after posting my query).

Once I included the proper column headings (“term”, “phrase”, etc.) it all worked.

I have since successfully uploaded a couple of vocabulary files so I have the hang of it now.

Thank you anyway for taking the time to respond.

2 Likes

Great, glad to hear you figured it out!

1 Like

I had the same issue importing a CSV file with special characters. It turned out that the problem was with the column headers. Make sure your CSV file has the correct headers like “term” and “phrase” as the system expects these specific columns. I used myexcel to double-check my CSV format and add the necessary headers. I also saved the file again as UTF-8 from Google Sheets to ensure there were no encoding issues. Sometimes small tweaks like adding or adjusting headers can resolve these import problems.

1 Like