Popular meanings using AI

The popular meanings are off most of the time in Hungarian. I then have to click on google translate and many times it also gives me an incorrect translation. I then have to copy and paste from google translate into chatgpt to get the correct definition which I then have to copy and paste back into lingQ. This would all be solved if LingQ could somehow share the word databases of each respective language with an AI program. Instead of spending an exorbitant amount of time trying to find the definition, LingQ offers me the AI definition result first in the popular meanings. In notes, it would be nice to have info on the words. Such as grammar info and etymology. Is this on a list of things for LingQ to implement?

2 Likes

I can’t speak to the technical/legal/economic aspects of using AI for definitions of words and phrases (especially the latter), but I find the LingQ definition panel and Google Translate pretty iffy compared to ChatGPT-4.

1 Like

I’ll second that.I really think GTP4 or 3.5 do much better.It’s a trend.Using a powerful tool will make learning language more easier.That’s exactly what the website of lingQ to do.And today AI is the most powerful tool.

2 Likes

It looks like LingQ has now implemented AI popular meanings for Polish. They appear to be identified with two stars next to them, and they are listed first in the list of popular meanings. However, the popular meanings curated by users are much better. And the old, default Google Translate popular meanings for Polish are also much better than the new AI popular meanings. I think I’d much prefer that LingQ return to the old popular meanings for Polish.

4 Likes

Same for the Ukrainian course, and the AI translations too often translate adjacent words too, instead of just the currrent word, so I need to manually edit the LingQ more often. Sometimes it doesn’t even use the AI translation for the LingQ despite showing it the first time, therefore i need to press the word again just to see what translation was actually used ;-;

2 Likes

I have asked something like this in the past. I think once they have nailed how to return the translations properly, they can add more information and definitions.

That would be great. I would definitely ask for that in a few weeks. We could have the full definition of the word in the notes, in our language and in the native language we are studying as well.

It could be expanded to include names, historical periods, and so on. And cross-referenced with Wiktionary, Wikipedia, and the like.

1 Like

Also, I feel as if IOS app became slower after this AI update, but maybe it’s a coincidence.

2 Likes