Please include Hindi!

This is my sincere request to all the ‘website guys and girls’ to please include the Hindi language on LingQ. I promise to contribute as many lessons as I can in Hindi. Anyone who supports my initiative can do so my giving this a rose. I know about the problems about the Devanagari script but is there really no way out?

A proud Indian,
A Russia loving teen’
Rajdeep.

10 Likes

Is Hindi exempt from the 1000 vote rule because it existed before on lingq? Are you guys going to add it when you eventually get the script figured out?

I can’t see myself learning Hindi anytime soon, but it is a fascinating language.

1 Like

Please look here: Facebook Poll Change - Language Forum @ LingQ

For what it is worth, I’d probably give Hindi a try if it were added as a beta language. Did they ever say what the technical issue was with adding Hindi? Whatever it was, it seems to be great enough of an issue to outweigh whatever interest has been expressed by the community.

1 Like

I definitely want to study Hindi here, too. It’s high on my list as there are Hindi speaking immigrants here in my neck of the woods. I wonder why technically the Arabic script can be supported, but not the Devanagari script. Is that still the case? कमाल भाषा (Kamāla bhāṣā = Amazing/wonderful language)

1 Like

@cgreen0038 Awhile back I did some testing on scripts. If I remember correctly, words that start with the same character, such as करना and कराना, are treated as the same word. It was something like that.

@Julz611 That was the case about a year ago and I believe that nothing has changed. You can test some yourself by importing into a language slot that you’re not using (just don’t choose Chinese, Japanese, or Korean because I think those might be different) and lingqing a bunch of words.

I can see where it could be tricky…for example, करना karanā & कराना karānā… Haven’t tried lingqing yet.

The LingQ HQ has made it clear several times that no language will be added at LingQ unless it obtains 1,000 votes at the Facebook poll: https://www.facebook.com/questions/10150249705278786/. So, get engaged! If Hindi gets 1,000 votes, they may consider solving the issues that prevented them to add it in the past.

(If anyone would like to help me too, please vote for Catalan and for the other European languages. Thank you!)

@mikebond - I don’t see any point in voting for something that the last time it won the poll (I believe this was before the 1000 vote threshold), the LingQ admins removed it from the poll and said they can’t add it for technical reasons. I see it is back on the poll now but I doubt the situation has changed.

@kcb - If that was the case, it would certainly prevent using LingQ with the language. I wonder why that would happen… LingQ already supports languages that use Unicode.

1 Like

Last time, they were adding a language every month, so they were not so wiling in spending too much time on making a languge supported. Now that the rules are tougher, they may look at the issue if Hindi gets 1,000 votes. Anyway, I don’t want to learn Hindi, so I don’t care much about it…

@cgreen I’ll do some thorough testing again (tomorrow) to determine what goes wrong. Unfortunately I don’t know enough about the tech side of it to try to come up with a solution. Also, it’s true that Hindi won one of the FB polls (before the 1000 votes rule), but then wasn’t added because of this issue. I don’t want to discourage people from voting for it, though. If enough people vote again, maybe someone at LingQ HQ will take it more seriously. If it’s not voted up, there’s not even that slight chance.

1 Like

That’s right, kcb! I have just voted for Hindi, too. Will anyone vote for Catalan to make me happy? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I’ve voted for Catalan.

Its a perfect fit for Lingq , and I would like, at least, to be be able to understand it.

Thank you for your opinions and roses. But I still don’t understand the difficulties with Devanagari script.
Is it because in Hindi symbols of vowels are joined to the consonants to change its pronunciation
Example: क (k) + the symbol of आ (aa) = का (kaa)
च (ch) + the symbol of इ (i) = चि (chi)

Or is it because all consonants can join together to shorten the pronunciation of the first consonant.
Examples: क (k) + त (t) = kta

Thank you for showing interest in learning Hindi. You can freely ask me for any help on the language.

शुक्रिया। आपने हिंदी सीखने में इतनी दिलचस्पी दिखाई यह दखकर मुझे बहुत आनंद आया है। आप मुझसे बेझिझक हिंदी भाषा के ऊपर आधारित कोई भी मदत मांग सकते है। फिर एक बार, धन्यवाद!
(Shukriya. Aapne Hindi seekhne mein itni dilchaspi dikayi yeh dekhkar mujhe bahut anand aaya hai. aap mujhse bejhijhak Hindi bhasha ke upar aadharit koi bhi madat maang sakte hai. Phir ek baar, dhanyavad!)

1 Like

I imported a story about Holi. Here are my findings.

One word in the lesson is करना, but it shows up in the side panel as करन and the word is saved in the system as such. कराना in the lesson shows up as कर in the side panel.
Apparently the system doesn’t like the character ा . I can’t show you it in isolation since it is the shortened version of आ. Maybe this is part of the reason the system doesn’t like it. I think the character is tied to the previous letter in the code.

होली shows up as ह in the side panel. It’s looking like the shortened forms of vowels are messing things up.
Predictably की shows up as क in the side panel.
And कहानियां becomes कह. It looks like the system truncates the words at the first shortened vowel. I will lingq through the whole story and report back if I find out more.

Update: The same thing happens with the short form of consonants. Also, when you close a lesson and reopen it, the words like कराना are no longer in yellow; they’re in blue. The word कर, later on in the lesson, IS yellow now even though I never tried to lingq that exact word. The system saved कराना as कर, so instances of कर were highlighted yellow, while the original word कराना, wasn’t recognized (even though I tried to save it as a lingq) and so was back to blue.

2 Likes

Damn! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why learn a new script when you can learn all languages in Roman script using IPA as guideline?

As per Google transliteration, a Gujanagari script is India’s simplest script having no lines above letters.Both Hindi and Sanskrit can easily be written in this script along with in Roman script.

See how easy it is to learn Gujanagari letters via English letters
ડ/ટ…………….ક (k),ફ(F), ડ (d) , ઠ (th), હ (h), ટ (T), ઢ(dh), થ(th) પ(P), ય(Y) , ખ(kh), ષ(sh)

R/2……… …… ર(R), ચ (ch),સ(S), શ(sh), અ(A)

C/4…………….ગ (g), ભ (bh),ઝ (Z), જ (J) ણ(N), બ(bh) લ(L), વ(V)

દ ……………દ(D),ઘ(dh),ઘ(gh),ઈ(ee), ઈ(I,i), છ (chh)

m………………મ(M)

n……………….ન (n,N),ત(T,t)

U………………ળ(r,l

One may not see nuktaa in Sanskrit Script.

See the Loan words in Hindi from Persian and Arabic.

India’s simplest script.

Hi, I just found this thread and wanted to ask if any of you have any other sources of learning hindi? Maybe you have some material of listening?