Please fix the mess related to "tags" in V.5.0

@Mark: how people are supposed to know these changes? A few days ago I was aware of one setting just because another user mentioned it. Now I’m aware of this feature because you’re mentioning. Can’t you use this update forum space to announce every new change in the setting menu and how to use them? Because it’s not always so straight forward. Thanks.

I apologize Davide. You’re right, we should do a better job of mentioning updates across all apps. We will try to do that in this forum. I will post some updates soon.

Hi Mark, sounds promising but I can’t seem to get the batch-delete tag function to work. e.g. I filter terms for the tag “я” / select all / go to add/remove tags / delete that tag / confirm deletion / green pop-up screen appears confirming tags have been updated, but when I filter the terms again using the same tag, the results are unchanged. What am I doing wrong?

@hosgood: I can confirm the same happened to me now. Even trying selecting and deleting tags from 1 word only doesn’t work. Unless we have to wait 24 hours for the database update.

Hello Mark,

This has been my experience as well. The green notification shows up but nothing has been deleted.

Why I disagree with autotags in Spanish?

1. I feel the system is not accurate enough.
    —Too many nouns are tagged as verbs.

2. I strongly disagree with the way the past participle is autotagged.
    —HABLAR is autotagged as the “past participle.”
    —HABLADO is autotagged as the “pretérito perfecto compuesto.”

For me, “hablar” is the infinitive form of the verb and the the past participle is “hablado.”

I understand that computer programs are not perfect, but I feel repeatedly exposing yourself to material that is incorrect is detrimental to the language learning process.

Will users have the ability to turn autotags OFF any time soon?

Batch deleting tags does not work for me either. I did it 5x, it said it was delted, but the tags were still there (including the vocabulary with the tags)…

Sorry about the batch tagging tool. It seems to be broken. We’ll get it fixed.
@sassysocks - Those are bugs that need to be fixed with the auto tagging. We will try to add a way to disable them but either way we need to fix issues like that. Please report any other issues you see.

The batch-tagging now seems to have been fixed. I have worked out how to use it to batch-delete tags, up to a maximum of 200 terms at a time. It is pretty useful.

So… how do I turn off auto-tagging?

I have now noticed that tags are automatically being created for new terms and the option to turn off auto-tagging now appears to have disappeared.

This is despite the fact I turned off auto-tagging in the settings some time ago as per this support page (which now seems to be out of date):

@hosgood You can disable the “Show Tags” option for both New Words and LingQs under the Settings > Reader.

@zoran thanks for getting back to me. I have tried using those options but I’m not sure if they are working as intended…

Disabling the “Show Tags” options for New Words and LinQs in Settings>Reader on the website does not seem to affect the IOS app which still seems to automatically create tags when new words are added.

The IOS app doesn’t seem to have any “Show Tags” options to enable or disable.

Using the batch-delete feature on the website to delete automatically-created tags from existing LingQs does not seem to affect the IOS app reader either. The popup box in the IOS app reader will display those tags. The popup box for the same lingQ in the website reader won’t.

Is there a way to disable the creation of automatic-tags for new words, and have the change carry over to the IOS app reader?

And is there a way for the IOS app reader to show all tags for existing lingQs except for the tags which have been deleted (e.g. batch-deleted via the website)?

@hosgood Ah, sorry. I didn’t realize you are on the app. Yes, at the moment it can’t be disabled on the app, only on the website. I’ll check with our app developers if that’s something we plan to add in the upcoming updates.