On how to import Japanese 縦書き ebooks

I failed several times to import Japanese ebooks yesterday. Then i realized that was because they were in 縦書き form, and you can only import 横書きbooks. I then figured out how to covert the 縦書き book to 横書き books via caliber and successfully imported them to LingQ. I thought it’s a good idea to share it in case more people have the same problem. Hope this helps.

Here are the steps:

1. Make sure you installed the latest version of [calibre](https://calibre-ebook.com/).
  2. Click the preference button on top of your screen, then click on the plugin.
  3. Search and download traditional<->simplified Chinese converter. (yes, this converter, we are not converting Chinese, but this plugin has the feature we need later). Then restart calibre so the plugin can run.
  4. Import your 縦書き book, then click on edit book. A new window will show.
  5. Find the plugin button on top of the screen and select the previously mentioned plugin.
  6. Scroll down to find the text direction, and select whatever format you need. Then click ok to convert.
  7. After this, you should have a 横書き book to import to LingQ.

This is just the solution I found for importing 縦書き books. If you have any easier way, please comment to help us save time and effort! :slight_smile:

2 Likes