On a shoestring

I am living on a shoestring as we speak ! Don 't know what all the fuss is about ! :wink: It isn’t as exciting as it sounds !

You could live on burgers, even if you are living on a shoestring.

Oi! Some of us do live on prayers, and get by fine, thanks, hehe.

Elfgal, I like your new profile pic:)

@solanderdog - Aw you look so cute in your new profile pic. Who’s the guy? :slight_smile:

You can live on a shoestring, but you cannot have it in a restraurant.

If you sell shoestrings, you might be able to live on a shoestring.

If that were your sole source of income, you would definitely be living on shoestringS. Or you could say you were living off of shoestrings!

He’s just some old guy that I drag around when I go on walks.

You could order some shoestring fries!

WHEEEEEEEEEE! Thanks Julz !

" Rose rosse per te stamattina ! "

That was my first impression. Nearly 30 years lived in the Midwest, probably living on a shoestring myself, I never once heard this expression.

If you sell shoestrings, you might be living on them; Some people might think that you are living on a shoestring.
Does this make sense?

I have often heard and probably used this expression. From googling

What is the origin of the term Shoestring Budget?

The expression shoestring may have been derived from a gambling game called faro. The term shoestring gambler was used for a petty gambler. A shoestring budget indicates that the person’s resources are as limited as the laces of his shoe. A popular notion refers to the shoestrings being low, almost touching the ground and hence a shoestring budget indicating a low budget. Another reference to the use of the expression shoestring budget may lie in the fact that shoelaces are relatively cheap and a shoestring budget may refer to having money just enough to buy shoestrings.

Due to my intense interest in travel I have heard and read this expression many times. ‘Europe on a shoestring’ I immediately understood that means ‘on a budget’ ‘on the cheap’ the first time I saw it.

It is a very common expression when talking about travelling, but otherwise it is rare . It means to complete a task using as little money as possible.