New Update: LingQ Exchange, Membership Changes

I completely agree with mfr!

But I don’t want to discuss about the reason or not for punishing content providers, just want to talk about the amount of the commision. 25%??? COME ON!!! This is not a commision!! 5 or 10% would be a commision, but not 25%.

We all know that the points we receive for the amount of time we spent creating lessons (for those providers who really create the lessons, not copy pasted) is ridiculous. So now, intead of solving this, you have make it worse, it will be even more ridiculous (if that’s possible), because if I want to exchange 10.000 points into 100$, I will have to pay 25$ for a “commision”!!! That’s insane!!!

Yes, 25% is really a lot.

@Julz611 - You just need to create some LingQs in Dutch and it will start to show. We don’t show stats for additional languages until we can measure activity in those languages. People often poke around in other languages and don’t want these languages to show in their stats unless they actively study them. Create some LingQs and those stats will appear.

@mfr, berta - The idea is not to take a cut from content providers. The fact is that the majority of people do not cash out their points but use them on the site. For those who do cash out, we will be able to calculate which points should have a commission deducted from them and which shouldn’t.

The idea (or the result) is exactly this, to take a cut from content providers. The majority of people do not cash out their points, ok, but the ones who do it is usually because they have a lot of points, obtained not because LingQ is very generous giving out points, but because they are big content providers with lots of lessons and effort behind. So you are going to punish specially the best content providers you have, the ones who provide a lot of content to the library, the ones who give value to LingQ, because the library is one of the major values on LingQ (or it should be)!

Thanks Mark!
Hilarious! - laughing at myself: I ‘forgot’ that I had reset my Dutch and therefore had deleted my lingQs! I was used to looking at 3 langs stats before I reset everything. haha!!
But…feeling sheepish if ya wasted any time on my ‘problem’:slight_smile:
Doing some stuff off-site atm (like learning kanji etc) but will be coming back with more gusto real soon. I luuuv this site!
My first dutch lingQ for myself should be ‘idioot’, LOL

@alsuvi - We will not be taking a commission from content providers.

@Julz - No problem. Glad you like the site!

@u56023 - Yes, points used for purchasing subscriptions will be treated like any other cashed out points. If the points were earned from tutoring, they will be charged a commission.

@u56023 - Yes, points used for purchasing subscriptions will be treated like any other cashed out points. If the points were earned from tutoring, they will be charged a commission.

@Iri - Everything is working fine but if you are trying to correct something that has already been corrected and completed, you won’t be able to.

Mark said: “@alsuvi - We will not be taking a commission from content providers.”

Great news Mark! May I ask how you’re going to do it or you haven’t come up with an idea just yet?

cheers
Berta

“…if you are trying to correct something that has already been corrected and completed, you won’t be able to.”

That is not true, I am still able to correct: “nous avons ajouter le nouveau…[mark]” although it has been completed.

Mark said: “@alsuvi - We will not be taking a commission from content providers.”

Isn’t this contradictory? Aren’t most of the content providers also tutors?

We will manually check to see if points were earned from content awards and not deduct our commission until we come up with a better way. We will see how this goes for a while. Most people use their points so it’s not a major issue.

@u50623 - We are going to remove access from My Requests for open corrections. Only, your own corrections and those assigned to you will be accessible from there. We are planning on adding some filters to the Exchange page to make it easier to find Open corrections. Some kind of notification system is also a good idea. Stay tuned…

@ mark “We will not be taking a commission from content providers”.

Thank you, that was a clear message. I hope this will also apply to points earned before June 3 for tutoring since a “commission” has already been deducted. It should not be “a major issue” to check this manually. Of course, if they have been used up before the user cashes them, the new points will be subject to the commission, I understand.

Are the points awarded automatically once the report (for conversations or writing) has been sent? Can the user who submits writing choose the number of points they want to pay for writing correction only before submitting it? The user clearly can gift points independently of tutoring services used, I would think.

I would like to sympathize with Berta, mfr and alsuvi. As a tutor and content provider myself, I will be even less motivated to create lessons and may just share the copy-paste lessons many content providers despise (and I basically agree).
LingQ has been almost my sole source of income for several months now (as my language-service business is not bringing any good results). Getting 100 dollars every couple of months was some pocket money for me…
Well, I will need to reconsider/reduce my activities as tutor and content provider. That’s sad.

@mark
What about the points I earned before June,3 - around 8,000 - I don’t want you to apply the commission on them since you already deduced 125 points for each conversation?

@mikebond - As mark mentioned above we will not be charging a commission on points earned through provider awards. Also, tutors who are looking to cash points out will be earning effectively the same amount for each conversation as the commission remains at 25%.

@serge33510 - Points earned before June 3rd will not be charged an additional commission if they are cashed out. We will manually handle these for any users who are looking to cash out within the next 90 days (when the last points before the switch will have expired).

@alleray - Points are awarded by the poster. The points can all be paid to one corrector or can be shared between multiple. Points are taken from the poster when they post but are distributed by them as they like. The poster initially chooses the amount to pay, however, they can update the amount any time as well as change their corrector settings and privacy settings just by editing that request post like any other post on the exchange. On the edit post form that opens, the tutor and point options appear when the Update button is pushed. Gifting of points is unchanged from before the update.

25% commission for tutoring is a lot? Well, maybe. I work for another online language school and they certainly take commission off me. I’m not sure how much because it’s never been explained to me, and I’ve never felt motivated to go and find out what the students are actually paying the language school. And they pass on a lot more hassle and admin to me than LingQ do. 25% commission might be at the high end of the spectrum, but I’ve never felt moved to grumble about it yet.

I also don’t see a problem in the commission being taken only when you trade the points for cash (is that the situation now?) LingQ is meant to be an exchange, the idea is that you spend your points earned within the system.

Am I to understand that I can now receive points for doing translations, transcriptions, recording audio, etc? I can’t see where that is written in the help files. If so, that is great!