New to Lingq, having trouble with Japanese readings

I feel like there is probably already a thread about this, but I failed to find one.
I’m having trouble with the readings of Japanese and it’s connection to the voice synthesizer.
It’s two problems all in all:

  1. Correct reading, incorrect voice synthesizer
    In 探さないで, the reading さがさ is shown, which is correct. But the voice says something in style with かんさ.

2). Incorrect reading, correct voice synthesizer
The reading shows めいって for the vocab 瞑って, which is not correct in this case. The voice, however, says つむって, which is correct.

It’s basically opposites of the same problem.

I understand that Japanese has different readings for the same character, but I find it strange that either the reading or the synthesizer gets it right, which means the correct reading is found but not displayed correctly.


I think the site doesn’t know what the text-to-speech is going to say, and doesn’t get a report back. So the site has to use separate logic to decide what reading to print. Definitely creates confusion, though at least this could help you see where there may be ambiguity. I’d suggest listening for the right reading in the audio for the lesson, and making a note of it in your LingQs…

I just find it very distracting, as I have to manually check the reading of each new word. That kind of defeats the purpose of using Lingq, in my opinion. It doesn’t even get a common word like 来る right, the voice says きたる.
Even if I turn the voice off completely (which I don’t really want to) the written reading is also often incorrect, as in “めいって” for “瞑って”. Not really worth 10 bucks a month. :frowning:

I used to have this problem until I realized that I was not using the latest version of the browser. All the while I was wondering how others could put up with it. So first make sure you have the latest version of a supported browser.

Tried both the latest version of Chrome and the new Firefox. Same problem. :confused:

Chinese has the same problem with showing the wrong pinyin of characters or not even recognizing many of them which prevents us from creating lingqs containing them. It is really frustrating that we have been reporting these problems for quite a long time and the reactions are either that the team will try to do sth or just that ‘a while ago there was nothing like lingq so be happy with what you have’. It is a paid service and I don’t want to sound too harsh but it seems like the team is either under-staffed or just doesn’t know how to solve these problems:/ that is to say I enjoy Lingq and plan to continue using it (and have already brought 5 new premium users), but the implementation speed (or even consideration) of users’ suggestions has been lacking in my opinion …

I’m sorry to hear that. :confused:
Lingq seems great for languages that do not require readings, but it feels strange paying full price when I’m studying a language not even supported by the website.