New LingQ 5.0 update and other issues?

It’s unfortunate that current users are not seeing any of the 5.0 improvements, and also that there doesn’t seem to have been any development of the current apps / website.

I’ll usually subscribe for a month, then get frustrated and move on to something else.
I came back to check on 5.0 progress, but updates are disappointing. It also seems from some comments that 5.0 is going to be more about behind-the-scenes updates rather than tangible improvements for users. For me this is the worst news, as I was under the impression all improvements for users were being ‘saved’ for 5.0, but it now seems we won’t get them until 5.1 or later.

My intention has always been to use LingQ as a central place for importing podcasts / news / subtitles, and then exporting vocabulary to Anki. It’s probably the best (only?) app for this, but I’m hesitant to commit to being locked-in for any length of time. There’s plenty of alternatives being developed that are free or almost free, and they usually do their 1 thing better than Lingq. I won’t name them, but apps for subtitles and reading can replace LingQ for little or no cost.

Another issue that hasn’t been addressed is the importing of books. We’ve all probably got a bunch of textbooks for Kindle or Apple Books in pdf or epub formats and it’s impossible to get these into LingQ. It’s also not possible to buy them within LingQ. I’m not the biggest fan of Olly Richards, but having the option to import / buy his books could be a big selling point for a lot of users.
The same applies for stuff like Inner French and RFI. There’s plenty of imported content, but there’s no definitive course and the formatting is often horrible, so you end up just importing the same material again and wasting time trying to fix the formatting. I’ve never understood the formatting tools for imports, and I’ve always found it impossible to get it right. WYSIWYG should apply here.
Surely we could have a definitive Inner French course that’s maintained by a trusted volunteer? It would be nice to log in and get the message ‘there’s a new Inner French podcast - do you want to view it?’Then we can all use the same course and get rid of all the duplicated lessons.

I’ll probably mess around with the import function today before deciding whether to buy another month.

Here, here! I am also tired of waiting.

Why would you feel bad. You are a paying customer and most on here seem to forget that it is OK to expect a certain level of customer service. If you are not receiving that level then take your business elsewhere.

I have not paid yet because I am studying vietnamese lol

halfway to 3 months how is it going?

Lol this thread’s really got legs!

Can we get a developer update or maybe even timeline for 5.0? It’s been a couple of months since we heard anything. Even better, a dedicated page we can check on.

We have opened up the iOS and Android app for beta users, hoping to get the web beta launched in the next few weeks. If you are interested in joining the beta groups, email support.

Thanks for the update. I’m already on the beta Android app. I use the app mostly for playing audio lessons, which it’s still buggy with when changing the playlist. Also, for Cantonese there is still no jyutping. I’ll email support for access to beta web.

Purely out of professional curiosity, why would it require a developer to add a new language. Surely it’s a modular system and adding in the languages is only a matter of loading data and config.

There are a variety of things that have to be set up and configured for new languages and developers need to do them. These tasks take time like anything else even though they may not be the most difficult of tasks. As in everything we do, we have to choose where our developers should spend their time since their time is limited. We will get to additional languages when we can.

can you add google search and google images to Greek please? thank you

I’d suggest creating a separate post in the support forum, and/or emailing lingq support directly. This is a rather large thread on a different topic that they may not see.

Hello.

Have you seen that:

Is it possible to make the same extension for lingQ? Because watching the video from the lesson page is very inconvenient.

Looks interesting but nothing we are planning to do anytime soon. Are you using Sentence View to watch the video and read along? It is much more convenient than Page View there.

I haven’t tried this before. Thank you, it’s sactually more convenient.

• Hello, could you add a function into LingQ to select two words in a different order in sentence ? for example, german verbs have usually two-part verbs in sentences. ich stehe um 7 Uhr auf. der Zug fährt um 8 Uhr ab. abfahren, aufstehen

Could be possible LinqQ when I click on View sentence in-app. Display all sentence. I mean: from a capital letter to a period at the end of a sentence. Usually, Part sentence is on one page another 3 words on other pages.

I’m not sure what you mean by part sentence. In Sentence View you should see the full sentence unless it’s a piece of content that has weird spacing in it. Most lessons should show the full sentence.

As for separable verbs, this is a tricky issue that we hope to address in the future. For now, you can see the different possible separable verbs as tags for the main part of the verb which can help you identify and find the particle in the phrase. Hope this helps!

Hi Mark,
I see one of the languages he’s studying is German. In German when you have dates, or also numbers, periods are used.

eg: Demnach können bis zum 30. September höchstens 600 Soldatinnen und Soldaten an der Mission teilnehmen.

This single sentence would be divided into two sentences because of the period after the 30. This is an issue in the old app as well. Or, in German once you get into thousands and higher, the usual commas we may use over here in the west are instead, periods. 1,000 = 1.000 This, can get divided into two sentences potentially…although I think because there’s no space behind this one may not happen.

Definitely on the date example this happens all the time.