New easy stories for Chinese learners

Just wrote and recorded some fairly easy stories for Chinese learners. I’m hoping to complete them as a serie with the aim of introducing some common workplace vocabulary and dialogs. Please let me know if you find the stories useful.

Here is the link to the series: Login - LingQ

Happy lingqing!

3 Likes

Thanks. I will make these my next port of call.

Added two more episodes.

If anyone wants me to cover a specific area please let me know. I’m not a storyteller, but this is fun. :slight_smile:

These are really excellent Derek. Thank you very much. My only comment is that they are probably intermediate one rather than beginner two. At least that is my impression, perhaps others could comment.

@Steve - Thanks for the feedback! I’ll update.

Added one more: Login - LingQ. I’m looking forward to people’s feedback!

These are recorded really well and you’ve done well to make them quite interesting - that’s not always easy for beginner lessons! Thanks :slight_smile:

@david - Glad you like them. I’m always tired of reading boring materials, so I do try to make things a bit interesting. :slight_smile:

I’ve also recorded some beginner one materials in Chinese Mandarin: http://www.lingq.com/learn/zh/library/courses/133242/. Again, I appreciate all your feedback. :slight_smile:

Hi @u50623 - Thanks for your feedback! Can you give me an example of how you want the sentences to be formated? Also when you import Chinese text from external source, do you manually format them as well?

I’m asking because in Chinese we don’t insert spaces between words just for reading aids (the way how Chinese characters work and look is quite different from that of the alphabets), so this is all new to me. I’d like to know how this works on LingQ, although I have a doubt that by doing so one will somehow produce non-authentic content?

Good lessons, good pace, good selection of vocabulary. Agree with Steve most of the lessons are low intermediate (based on vocabulary), though some are more borderline upper elementary. In any case, I think it’s best to categorize them all as low intermediate. Good mix of intermediate vocabulary and natural 口语 to your stories. One thing that trips up intermediate (especially low) intermediate learners is the use of secondary meanings of simple words (which makes them less simple). For instance in one of the dialogues I didn’t catch the meaning of 过 (to pass time) because I am used to it as a past action marker, and, like a lot of learners, have the habit of looking out for compounds rather than a single character to understand a concept. This is a problem for the learner not the native speaker, so it’s good for learners to hear these natural ways of saying things (which textbooks and graded readers tend to omit).

Having lived in Asia for a while, I often get the question: “what is your hobby?” Nothing wrong with it, but this is not something I would say to English native speakers/advanced learners but rather “what do you do for fun?” However, usually when I ask this it tends to confuse non-natives at the pre or low intermediate level who are more comfortable with the more formal, “hobby.” Likewise, low intermediate learners of Chinese tend to lock on to the more easily recognizable, formal language…so it’s good you deviate from that. I also like that you keep situations simple, allowing for more focus on the vocabulary and usage.

@milestones - Thank you for your nice words!

I think one of the best thing about LingQ is that people can listen to authentic conversations, instead of artificial or even misleading ones. Ironically my story is artificial as well, although I try to reflect on my own experience living and working in China, probably with a bit exaggeration here and there. :stuck_out_tongue:

More recordings added:

Jack’s series:
Login - LingQ (this one is probably intermediate two)

Beginner’s series (beginner one):

Added one more episode to the Jack’s series: Login - LingQ.

This one covers a bit the topic of vegetarianism and China based on my own experience. (Yes, I am a vegetarian. :slight_smile: