New Dictionary Options, Fresh New Look

Further additions:

Jim Breem’s WWWJDIC - Japanese → English, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, German
Google Dictionary - English <–> French, German, Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Italian, Korean, Russian, Spanish
Google Translate - Chinese <–> All languages

It looks like we are now unable to add Lexin. Sorry Reinhard. If there are other Swedish translation sites, please let me know.

Ana,

The French-English in WordReference works very well. Make sure you have English selected as your translation language in the Dictionary Settings popup.

Rasana,

It looks we can’t add the multilex dictionary. Sorry.

Mark,
Concerning the translation via Wordreference a new window opens each time with wordreference. It is not very convenient. Is it normal?

Yes, that is how it works with all dictionaries except Babylon. I recommend resizing the window to make it smaller and then not closing it each time. If you drag and drop or cut and paste the translation to the Hint field and save, the new window will go to the background and reappear the next time you call it up. I find it quite convenient. If you have IE and force new windows to open in a new tab, you should change your settings to have new windows open normally.

It will take a little getting used to.

In some ways Babylon is the most convenient because it fits into the little right hand area in the LingQ widget. However, it often gives poor results and is slow (for me).

google translate is fast and gives only one context related answer,and is most likely to come up with an answer, in my experience. It is also easy to size the box into a small square that fits into the space where the five steps are. Thus it does not cover any text.

Other dictionaries offer more information, examples, gender, pronunciation, but I rarely need those, and when I do I open them. In this case I often need a larger square or scroll within the space provided.

I find google translate the most convenient and useful. So we have increased our dictionary options but there are a few inconveniences to get used to.

1. if you decide on the hint you want to use, and start typing in the Hint space, the dictionary box closes.

2. if you drag and drop or copy the Hint from the box to the LingQ widget, you will need to click Save twice, at least that has been my experience.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to work with two monitors, which is my case, then the system works ideally without these inconveniences.

How are others using the new dictionaries?

Mark,
for Swedish <-> Russian I use Russian - Swedish & Swedish - Russian Dictionary v.4. web edition
Is it possible to add it?

For English → German works Babylon I like Babylon the most. I have no problems with the speed. Babylon give me a lot of proper translation. Also there are information about the type of the word, and the basic form of the word. That is very good!

The Problem for French → German is, that Babylon first give me a translation from the Word from English → German and after scrolling down I’ll found the translation French → German. This is very confusing. Also I miss the informations, that I got additional for the translation from English → German.

For French → German is leo.org the best dictionairy that I know. But it is not not very convenient to have two windows. I think I’m spoiled from the English translations of Babylon.

Vera,

At any rate we now have more options. And thanks for the great number of German content sources you put up on our spread sheet.

Sorry Rasana. It looks like we can’t add that dictionary either.

Vera, regarding the ease of using the external (non-Babylon) dictionaries, I thought I would make a video showing how I use one. I really don’t think it’s any more inconvenient than using Babylon. Take a look.

http://screencast.com/t/rFwmfx0qL

Thank you for the show, Mark. I’ll try it.

@Steve: I just started but I’m not ready. I have to check some links from other users, and I have a large list of other sources. Unfortunately a lot is without transcript. Transcripts are not usual in German, I don’t know why. But there are a lot of helpful websites for learners. I would appreciate the help of other people, or tips from other learners. Often learners know more interesting pages than I know.

Hi Mark, Reinhard,

There is a new dictionary under development to replace Lexin for Swedish <–> English.

Try here:
http://folkets-lexikon.csc.kth.se/folkets.en.html

I have added Folkets Lexicon for Swedish <–> English. Unfortunately, it doesn’t offer any other language combinations. :frowning:

When I’m reading in French I actually prefer to use a French dictionary. The TV5 dictionnary is excellent and includes not only French/English, but also definitions, style (idioms) and synonyms. I like that it keeps me thinking in French, and not in English - especially when reviewing my LingQs.

http://dictionnaire.tv5.org/

I’ve added tv5 to the site for French-English, English-French and French-French. You should see it now in the Other Dictionaries list. You will have to set your dictionary language to French to get it in French-French at one click.

Quel service!! Je suis ravie!!! MERCI BEAUCOUP!

Quel service!! Je suis ravie!!! MERCI BEAUCOUP!

FF users can download the qtl ultralite add-on which displays the (English) translation of most major languages when you highlight them in the URL (Address) field

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=qtl&cat=all

My favourite dictionary from english, french and spanish to german is
http://www.leo.org/.
It actually has chinese and italian too, but only to german. I got a problem when starting to learn portuguese, and babylon certainly was not a good option. So I found a webpage with quite a collection of vocabulary (another language learning site) that works like a dictionary but is not always certified, it’s on
Portugiesisch Deutsch Wörterbuch mit 246.435 Übersetzungen
and works with many languages, but I am not sure whether it can be included.
One other dictionary I found for german-portuguese is
Dictionary / Wörterbuch (BEOLINGUS, TU Chemnitz)

I use the IM translator constantly and it has an add-on for firefox:

Hi helloyou,

Leo is already in our list of Other Dictionaries. Just scroll down below all the Babylon stuff and you will see it in the list. You can also set it to be your default dictionary instead of Babylon by clicking on the Dictionary Options link.

I have also added Pauker.at to the Other Dictionaries list from German to all languages and vice versa. I seems it is better in some languages than others. And, I’ve added the dictionary from Chemnitz, BeoLingus for German to English, Spanish, Portuguese and vice versa. You’ll see these dictionaries as well now in the Other Dictionaries list.