My review of Lingq on iPad

I recently purchased an iPad mini and have been using the Lingq app ever since. To me, it is a very convenient way to learn Russian and my other languages because I prefer reading and creating lingqs on a tablet as opposed to a computer. Everything is nicely laid out and the lessons are well organized so that you can easily access them. Moreover, I like how I can look at each sentence separately and then scroll to the next one.

An annoying problem that I’ve encountered is creating lingqs for large texts; if there are a lot of unknown words and I’m creating a lot of lingqs, it usually lags and sometimes boots me out of the program. In order to mitigate this, I just have to look at the lesson on a sentence-by-sentence case. I don’t get this problem when creating lingqs for smaller lessons, though. I’m sure the Lingq staff will resolve this eventually so it’s not too serious.

Overall, I’m very pleased with this app and huge thanks to the lingq team for giving us this awesome tool to learn and improve our languages. I know that in a few months, I’ll be able to understand Russian podcasts easily and converse well with native speakers :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the review.

I had the same problem when working with Korean podcasts and transcripts that were 40-50 minutes long. I ended up shortening my lessons to 8-10 minutes of audio equivalent. Thereafter I didn’t have any problems.

I agree, I love the new iPad version although now that the site has sped up I still find it faster most of the time to LingQ on the computer and read on the iPad. I use the sentence view when working out on my stepper.

2 Likes

I just went and made a few LingQs on the website, and it does seem faster. Has there been a change in the last few days?

I don’t think I will be reading on the website any more. It’s just too comfortable on my armchair with the iPad to want to go and sit at a desk. The app still has problems, especially with long texts. Even when the texts are 1000 words long, or even 500 words long, things are slow, but it’s getting better. Also, it would be great to have the ability automatically save Google Translate hints like on the website, but of course one step at a time.

Here is a trick for reading on the iPad. Say I am reading a book, and I want to save my place and come back to it later. What I do is I take a screenshot of where I am by pressing the two buttons (the round one under the screen and the on/off one on the top) at the same time. Just a tip.

By the way, using the new iOS app has led to me discovering the brilliance of Linguee as an online dictionary. It’s really good.

Captcha: get it first time, every time.