Making words/phrases into Lingqs that are seperated by the other irrelevant words in between them

Currently, at least seemingly on PC, Lingq can only help to make phrases that have the words directly adjacent to each other, for example, “sein werden” which means “will be” in German. When it comes to phrases like “weit entfernt” which means “far away”, it’ll also be fine to make it into Lingqs if the words are standing exactly next to each other. However, sometimes it’s not that simple when there can be other words/phrases in between “weit entfernt”, such as “weit von der Bühne entfernt” which means “far away from the stage”. This phrase can’t be made into Lingq unless I make the whole phrase and type the meaning of it in, which is practically useless because that Lingq won’t show up again until the exact phrase “weit von der Bühne entfernt” reappear.

So, similar to making phrases into Lingqs with Shift+click, I think it can be done with Ctrl+click

4 Likes

Great idea! In English this happens very rarely, but in German it happens a lot, and I’m sure there are other languages with this issue, so this would be a much-needed resource.

2 Likes

That would be great. Not sure if it possible but you can suggest it here on canny and I would definitely vote for it. https://lingq.canny.io

1 Like

I imagine that could be done by using a wildcard character in phrases, like “weit ? entfernt”. Then lingq could suggest the definition of “weit ? entfernt” whenever it sees a phrase that begins with “weit” and ends with “entfernt”. That would be a nice feature. I wonder how difficult it would be to develop.

2 Likes

I guess the notation “weit […] entfernt” (with or without the brackets) is probably more intuitive, as this is a typical way of writing it in quotes when words are left out.

@choiblackstar1996 I support the idea. But as a native German I would like to add that we tend to often break two words apart like that. So if you are going to create LingQ’s for all of those cases, they will pile up pretty fast and I am not sure whether this will help you to learn them. It is probably better if you try to get a feeling for the patterns. After all, if you know the meaning of “weit” and “entfernt”, “weit entfernt” is pretty self-explanatory (in the sense that the meaning of the words doesn’t change when used together). In many cases one of the words used in such a combination is either an adverb or a preposition btw.

I am not sure to which degree it is comparable, but when I create LingQ’s for a word when studying Korean (I never create phrases), I always write the dictionary form of the translation. So for a verb it is always infinite, without any information about tense or modifications due to particles. This way I force my brain to recognize the grammar patterns.

Sorry for going off topic here, but I thought it might help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With the split verbs in German, we don’t have a way for you to save these properly. However, as long as you are aware of them, you should be fine. You can add a tag for “split verb” to help you identify these when you save the parts. You can sometimes capture both parts of the verb if you select them in a phrase (if the phrase isn’t too long). You can add notes to help you remember. Keeping in mind that the majority of German words are not of this type.

2 Likes

@Pr0metheus @davideroccato , Timmins
Thanks for the replies, guys. Let’s hope that we can see it coming in the future

2 Likes

@Obsttorte Thanks for showing support and also sharing your opinions that I can mostly relate to. I totally agree with you about focusing more on patterns for now as a beginner. But as of my personal experience, denoting the exact conjugated meaning of the words has helped me to get a sketch of how the patterns can appear, at least for the moment being.

For verbs, for example, when I learn new words I always write in what form of the words have conjugated into. Let’s say that I’ve learned “gehen” for the first time. I will save the corresponding pronouns of the word and the meaning of the word. So it’s LingQ would be like ‘[We, They, You(formal)] go / to go’. But I won’t try to memorize so hard, because I know I’ll forget it eventually and the difference from simply recognizing it for every encounter will be marginal. I consider it as a simple note, so next time when I encounter the word, I’ll be aware that the actions are done by people not by a single person. Of course, the pronouns will be the direct hint for me to notice but when sie/Sie comes in the head of the sentence, the first I want to look for is the conjugated verb. Now thanks to my saved LingQ, I can distinguish whether it’s “She” or “You” who is going.

Then, afterwards, I grasp the idea that most of the verbs that ends with “-en” express present tense representing plural pronouns(excluding 2nd person plural) or are in infinitive form. This goes on for the rest of the pronouns. And then, later on, I realize that most of the past tense forms for plural pronouns of the verbs also end with “-en”. Not to mention some of the past participle forms of the verbs that end with “-en” as well. I’ll also make/modify the LingQ for them too.

Similar to how my LingQs are made for verbs, I do it for phrases like “weit entfernt”, which is true and I agree that it’s intuitive and easy to translate by knowing the meaning of each words, and that’s what I do most certain too. But when the sentence gets a bit loose, I want to chunk it into several phrases and save the phrase words that serve as a joint into LingQ but not the whole phrase. So that I can recognize and read smoother than before with the notes I’ve made when encountering another sentence with similar phrases. It’s true that all the phrases that I make can be a cluster of mess eventually, but that’s only when doing SRS is what I think. I believe on the idea that it actually assists me to read texts more fluently.

To say that there are many effective methods for each personally, the best fitting one for me has been to note myself by discerning the difference explicitly. Probably because I’m learning German in English not in my native language(Korean), which is somehow far apart from both two languages when it comes to verb conjugations and prepositions and so on than that of English from German, and with English I can somehow write it in details with fewer annotations than with Korean. There may be more factors that made me choose one over another, but this one seems the most significant reason for me.

1 Like

One idea that comes to my mind: You have several statuses available for marking the words. I don’t know if you use all of them, but you could reserve one of them for such cases where two, not necessarely adjacent words, belong together, like in your example. As every status is bound to a specific color, you would get some sort of color hinting for this cases, which may make it easier for you to recognize them.

@zoran As you’ve mentioned the tag system, would it be an option to think about some sort of color tag system, so that users could add additional hilighting to words by applying a different font color, for example (as the background color is already used for the word status)?

1 Like

It’s true that you can add tags for each words but making a whole new LingQ for it would be easier to track the meaning of the words, in my opinion, since there are verbs like “aufhören” which makes much of a different meaning from “hören” and plain tags don’t seem to be appropriate for making notes of new meanings. And also for phrases like “sowohl … als auch …” too, which has no verbs. Surely, tags can be added to “sowohl”, “als” and “auch” but I still think it’s a bit tedious to track.

1 Like

As every status is bound to a specific color, you would get some sort of color hinting for this cases, which may make it easier for you to recognize them.

That’d be not a bad idea, actually. Better if they can make it that both the corresponding auxiliary words highlighted in same color automatically when they are in the same sentence. But since I assume what I just suggested would be quite more difficult to implement, I can say that it will be enough for me to read the contexts fluently.

1 Like

@Obsttorte Interesting idea, I’ll forward to our team.

1 Like

Hi Zoran,
While the verbs are not the majority, but it is the most important word in the verb, and as a German learner, the split verb are a backbone in German sentences.
Such workaround would make it much easier to keep tracking them and also to focus on the important parts of the phrases with neglecting less important parts.
I would appreciate if you could consider it.

1 Like

@choiblackstar1996 Thank you for this idea, did you create it in https://lingq.canny.io?

1 Like

I found this suggested one year , please vote for it

2 Likes