Looking for a German Audiobook of Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

Looking for a German Audiobook of Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

I think you have to purchase it somehow. English version of the audiobook is freely available on Youtube.I found the Audio CDs for this book on Amazon.de. It is expensive though. I read the book but did not listen to the audiobook.

1 Like

Yea it is insanely expensive! Such a shame. I think it might have been your recommendation I saw that persuaded me to get the German book. Great for my level. Any other ideas for books at a similar level or just above?

I highly recommend all books by Angelika Bohn. She has even recorded audio for some of her books. Try reading her books in a sequence. Start from A1 (in reality looks to me like A2). She repeats some of the most important words from the book aimed at A1 to A2 then to B1 to B2 etc. It is a natural progression when it comes to seeing certain words in context. They are written in spoken form so you get to learn all the necessary words natives use in a conversation. Slang. idioms.Collocations. In addition, stories are not boring at all. These books can easily be enjoyed by German kids, too.

3 Likes

Thank you for this. What level is your German now may I ask?

From grammar point of view, all her books were fluent reading all the way to B2. No sentence in her books threw me off. In every book I came across a few unknown words that I did not know. I read all her books at 42k known words. At this point I have read 34 contemporary novels meant for native speakers on LingQ (constantly looking up words). I used her books to develop reading fluency and read them in extensive mode not looking up words. Reading adult literature is still tough I still have a problem understanding certain sentences because of unknown vocabulary.

1 Like

That’s an incredible level of input! Well done. How is your conversational fluency with natives if you ever get to test that? Do you incorporate speaking practice on your own or with natives into your language learning routine or is it all input based? I’d also love to know what you read to get to 42k known words. That’s 4 times where I’m at currently so I probably need to read more easy stuff before Angelika Bohn’s works do you think? Many thanks btw.

1 Like

<<That’s an incredible level of input! Well done. How is your conversational fluency with natives if you ever get to test that? Do you incorporate speaking practice on your own or with natives into your language learning routine or is it all input based?>>

Speaking accounted for 2% and Listening and Reading accounted for 98%.
For that 2% all the sentences I spoke they had appeared on my subconscious mind radar automatically/spontaneously. I thought about a specific idea, then the whole sentence appeared subconsciously. I spoke these with my work colleagues.

I am testing Dr Marvin Browns hypothesis(creator of ALG method).ALG Levels and how we view them - ALG Thai Online, Learn Thai You learn to speak through massive listening not through speaking. Common advice: You learn to speak through more speaking. Based on his hypotheses and background research, adults can get it wrong with early speaking. You need to listen for 2000 hours of active listening for the sound system of a foreign language to grow in your head. No reading. No speaking. No writing until then. With enough listening hours under your belt, speaking will emerge automatically.

With those 34 books I have read, I always combined it with audio. Whatever little I have interacted with natives, I never repeated myself for once. Native Germans understood it the first time around.

My listening skills keep getting better. A year ago the people at a local pharmacy as well as at a vaccination center were incomprehensible now they are completely comprehensible.

You should start with easy books to acquire all the necessary vocabulary. Also, there are a lot of courses available in the library aimed at different levels. If you are okay with using a translation tool to translate paragraphs for meaning then reading them again in German then I think difficulty level should not be a huge hindrance. You can try some of her easier books.If you have a problem understanding a certain sentence you can always get a translation for it in English. or LingQ offers a sentence mode.

1 Like